7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2007 7:12 AM by a1ex

Feedback requested - All Applications Resource

chris.lapoint

In the BETA2 build, we've updated the All Applications Resource to group by Node.   This grouping is static.   The usability concern that we have is that users may have 100s of nodes with applications on them.  In this scenario, the All Applications Resource could span multiple vertical pages.  

So, the question we have for our beta users is which would you prefer:

1) Grouping by Node (current behavior)

2) Grouping by Application Template.   The idea behind this is that it would reduce the # of items shown in All Applications resource since we don't expect users to have much less Application Templates than Nodes.   Also, would give users the ability to navigate based on types of applications (depending on how Application Templates are defined).

If there another grouping mechanism that you'd prefer, we'd love to hear that as well!

Thanks,

-Chris.

• Re: Feedback requested - All Applications Resource
          aLTeReGo

I know this is going to sound like a whole lot of work, but I think that just like the "All Nodes" resource in Orion, that the "All Applications" resource in APM should share the same flexible grouping options.  This would include the option to group by Node, by Application template, custom property. As well as status and machine type etc.

I'd second that, but if the option's not available, I'd prefer the All Applications to be grouped by application.

I'd also like to see improved integration of APM, with the option to add bits of the APM screens into Network Summary etc.

I.E. When you add Top Monitors By Response Time to the network summary, you don't get the little response time bars, and there's no option to add the various node-specific APM attributes to the main node details template, so I can create one large node details page.

chris.lapoint

Thanks for the feedback!  Keep it coming.

I'd also like to see improved integration of APM, with the option to add bits of the APM screens into Network Summary etc.

I.E. When you add Top Monitors By Response Time to the network summary, you don't get the little response time bars

This should be possible.  I've created a bug for the issue you described.   For internal folks, this is #808.

there's no option to add the various node-specific APM attributes to the main node details template, so I can create one large node details page.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?    I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're trying to do.

chris.lapoint

I know this is going to sound like a whole lot of work, but I think that just like the "All Nodes" resource in Orion, that the "All Applications" resource in APM should share the same flexible grouping options.  This would include the option to group by Node, by Application template, custom property. As well as status and machine type etc.

We had evaluated doing just this initially, but it was a "whole lot of work" ;-)  If you had to prioritize grouping options, which would you say are most important?