This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Engineer's Edition Toolset x64 Installation

Hello,

We have just moved our Orion installation to the production server with 8GB of RAM inside, which consequently required Windows 2003 64bit in order to address that much RAM. However when I came to then install the engineers edition toolset, it errors saying that 64-bit is apparently not supported. Now I have manually copied over the installed folder in Program Files, and run this on the x64 OS without issue (other than the couple of tools which are missing the relavent registry and dll registrations). So how can I go about either manually adding these or getting the installer modified to install?

It seems mad to me to delberatly stop users from installing onto an x64 OS considering that 32-bit applications still run perfectly (albeit it in 32-bit mode).

Any help would be much appreciated, as otherwise we have wasted £800.

Thanks,

Dakaix

• *bump*

Anyone from SolarWinds able to help with this?
  • Sorry about the delay in responding.  Product management would like for me to assist you here.  I'm in the process of coming up with a means to support you here.  It may be a manual process or a change in our install, not sure yet, but our hope is that by your feedback, we can start toward supporting x64.  I will post again soon.

Thanks,

• Hello David,

Thanks for your reply. I have already tested most of the executibles by copying them from a 32bit install, and those appear to run perfectly. There are a couple that won't run due to missing registry entries and non-registered dll's. I'd guess that simply removing the 64-bit check on the installer would allow these to work properly also.

Thanks,

Dakaix.
  • Thanks Dakaix,

Just to clarify for everyone reading this thread, we do NOT officially support running Toolset on 64-bit versions of Windows OS.  This is an exploratory effort by David to determine what issues exist with Toolset on 64-bit so we can attempt to resolve these in future releases. 

Before we can/will claim support and field support calls on this configuration, we will need to do an extensive regression test of Toolset components on 64-bit.  This is planned for a future release.

• Sorry about the delay in responding.  Product management would like for me to assist you here.  I'm in the process of coming up with a means to support you here.  It may be a manual process or a change in our install, not sure yet, but our hope is that by your feedback, we can start toward supporting x64.  I will post again soon.

Thanks,

Any update on this David?

-Dakaix
  • Yes, we are going to allow Toolset installs on x64 OSes in the next release called 9.2.  Installs on x64 will NOT be supported for 9.2, but we're opening the door here to allow our customers to provide us feedback on those installs which will hopefully accelerate our ability to support x64 installs in a release beyond 9.2.  I cannot provide a date as to when 9.2 will release, but can let you know that my team and I are fully engaged in its developement right now.  Since this release isn't far off in the horizon, I suggest that you wait for it instead of going down a 9.1 "hacked" version on x64, so that we can work through the issues found together in 9.2.

Thanks,