16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2007 5:17 PM by ozesati

Dell Hardware status MIB

Does anyone have a MIB that monitors the status of Dell hardware. I am basically looking for a MIB that does the same thing OpenManage does but I want the monitoring/alerts to come from Orion SolarWinds. I want to import these MIBs into SolarWinds and get an alert if a HD goes down or offline, bad memory, etc. Dell has these MIBs with the .mib file extention that can't be imported into solarwinds. Solarwinds recongizes the .CustomMIBPollers file extention only.

Also, does anyone know if Dell IT Assistant will conflict with SolarWinds? If I can't find a solarwinds MIB. I wanted to have Dell OpenManage clients send trap messages to it central IT Assistant server while also having the same server to send trap message to solarwind for other traps not supported by dell. IT assistant can send out email alert as well.

• Re: Dell Hardware status MIB
          mark wiggans

there are several DELL mibs posted in the Content Sharing Zone-

http://thwack.com/files/folders/mib/default.aspx?PageIndex=2

Yes, but none of these do what I want to accomplish. In particular, I wanted to get alert on when a hard drive or array go down/offline. There isn't one for this there.

borgan

Have you contacted Dell to find the specific OID that you need?

No, I don't have the OID number but the MIBs are on link below. 

Dell has several MIBs that are free to download at http://ftp.us.dell.com/sysman/DCMIB52.exe . It there an easy way to compile this into SolarWinds import format?

Compiling this MIBs will greatly help many people that have dell systems. Thanks.....

aLTeReGo

Do these help?

agentGlobalSystemStatus - 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10893.1.20.110.13

0110.0013 Global health information for the subsystem managed by the Storage Management software.  This global status should be used by applications other than HP OpenView. HP OpenView should refer to the globalStatus in the root level object group.  This is a rollup for the entire agent including any monitored devices. The status is intended to give initiative to a snmp monitor to get further data when this status is abnormal.
                          Possible values: 1: Other 2: Unknown 3: OK 4: Non-critical 5: Critical 6: Non-recoverable

arrayDiskState - 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10893.1.20.130.4.1.4

The current condition of the array disk.  Possible states:  0: Unknown  1: Ready - Available for use , but no RAID configuration has been assigned.  2: Failed - Not operational.  3: Online - Operational. RAID configuration has been assigned.  4: Offline - The drive is not available to the RAID controller.  6: Degraded - Refers to a fault-tolerant array/virtual disk that has a failed disk.  7: Recovering - Refers to state of recovering from bad blocks on disks.  11: Removed - Indicates that array disk has been removed.  15: Resynching - Indicates one of the following types of disk operations: Transform Type , Reconfiguration , and Check Consistency.  24: Rebuild  25: No Media - CD-ROM or removable disk has no media.  26: Formatting - In the process of formatting.  28: Diagnostics - Diagnostics are running.  35: Initializing: Applies only to virtual disks on PERC , PERC 2/SC , and PERC 2/DC controllers.

controllerRollUpStatus - 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10893.1.20.130.1.1.37

Severity of the controller state. This is the combined status of the controller and its components. Possible values: 1: Other 2: Unknown 3: OK 4: Non-critical 5: Critical 6: Non-recoverable

controllerState - 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10893.1.20.130.1.1.5

The current condition of the controller's subsystem (which includes any devices connected to it.) Possible states: 0: Unknown 1: Ready 2: Failed 3: Online 4: Offline 6: Degraded

globalStatus - 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10893.1.20.2

Global health information for the subsystem managed by the Storage Management software.  This global status is customized for HP OpenView.  Other applications should refer to the agentSystemGlobalStatus entry in the globalData object group.
                          Possible values: 1: Critical 2: Warning 3: Normal 4: Unknown

Here is the OID from Dell. 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10893. Still, I tried many of the ones on this list and they failed. I'm I doing something wrong?

aLTeReGo

1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10893 is the root of Dells storage MIB  "iso . org . dod . internet . private . enterprises . dell . storage"

You need to go further down the tree to get to the specific OID your looking for. Such as the information I provided above.

You also must have Dell Server Administrator (AKA Dell OpenManage Managed Node) installed on all your Dell servers for this information to be accessible via SNMP.

Thanks all for your help. aLTeReGo I tried each and everyone you posted here but I am still getting an "The SNMP Test Failed" "Error, the value was not found."

I did get some of the OID to send info. back but other are still failing. Do you think it has something to do with the version of OpenManage or is it an OID that dell doesn't support anymore? Thanks....

aLTeReGo

The Storage MIB also requires that you have the "Storage Management" option of OpenManage/Server Administrator installed.

Also, I can't speak to older versions of OpenManage but I can assure you that Dell OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node v.5.2.0, A00 released on 4/10/2007 works perfectly on all 85 Window servers that we're monitoring with Orion.

You can download the latest version of Dell OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node v.5.2.0, A00 from here. http://ftp.us.dell.com/sysman/OM_5.2.0_ManNode_A00.exe

Alterego, you were right, I needed the latest version of OpenManager for the MIB to be recongnized. Tested while browsing MIB and status came back fine (status of number 3=online).

One thing I can't figure out is how to assign an advance alert to a host. With basic alert, there is a "Monitored Network Objects" tab that include host added to orion.

So, I created an advance alert. Assigned it the storage MIB, below that I added a "status is equal to 3", and I wanted the system to check this alert every 15 sec. I set to email me when alert is triggered. I used the trigger this alert when it exist for 10 sec. I also used the test fire alert on a host and it worked fine but I can't get it to alert on it own because I guess I am not assigning it to a host. Can you help?