This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Switch Port Mapper not showing ip address and DNS name

After upgrading my Engineering toolset from ver 8 to ver 9, the Switch Port Mapper tool appears not to  be working correctly.  I can get the Mac addresses on all the ports fine but the IP address fields and the DNS name fields are blank.  I have gone through the settings and made sure that they were all selected correctly but still nothing shows.  This was all working on ver 8 but after the upgrade something seems to be missing.  Any direction on this would be appreciated.

• I am new to the SolarWinds products. In my situation I started off with SolarWinds Engineering Toolset 9.0.1.  I'm mapping mainly to two Cisco 6509's running SUP 720-3b. I cannot get the Switch Port Mapper to show IP Address and DNS/NB Name information. Oddly, the IP Address and DNX/NB Name information WILL show up in the IP Address Management tool.

I've also got several 4506's and some 3750's that I'm experiencing the same problem with. No IP Address or DNS/NB name information is populating.

Is there anyone out there who could help me find a fix for this problem? 

• We are a solid Cisco shop running 6509, 2950, 2970, 4500's et al and my only guess on this is that the new Solarwinds ver 9.0.1 didn't get all the Cisco MIB's right.  It would appear that Solarwinds isn't handling the MIBs correctly or is possibly miscompiling them.  We also had problems with the IP Address Management tool showing IP address available when in fact they were being used.  That issue was patched and now appears to be working but the Switch Port Mapper issue has not been resolved. This really is too bad because the Switch Port Mapping has been a nice diagnostic tool.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

I upgraded one of my toolsets to 9.0.5 a while back and left it there.  It is working fine.  

I have another box with port mapper 9.2.0.47 and it is exhibiting the problem mentioned above except only 3 MAC addresses show up.

Has anyone gotten any help from Tech support on this yet ?   I've opened at least 4 support cases in the last 3 weeks, and it looks like this will be another one.

<sigh> 

• I am also having a problem with the port mapper and a pair of Cisco 6513 switches.  I do not get any information displayed in the IP address or the DNS entries.  When it is first scanning the ports, the ip addresses get scrolled through in the pop up box, but then do not display properly on the port mapper.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to vangelar

On Monday, I received a new switchportmapper.exe from Solarwinds that cleared up my problems.  All IPs, MACs, and names are reported as expected. I would hope they make this an official download soon.

Doug 

• The Toolset 9.2 Service Pack 1 is currently in regression testing.  It contains the fix for SwitchPortMapper mentioned in the previous post.  I cannot comment on an exact date for its release, but it will be very soon.

• Any chance of getting the new exe until the fix is released?  Shot myself in the foot when I upgraded to 9.2 (worked before, now not giving the info I need).

Thanks....Kurt 

• Are you still having problems getting IP addresses to resolve in the Engineering Toolset Port Mapper? Did the upgrade to 9.0.5 make any difference with this problem?

Where did you get the upgrade to 9.0.5? I've only been able to find some hotfix patches and no real "upgrades". 

I'm in a fix to get this problem resolved.

• Please contact support so we can track these requests and ensure that you get SP1 as soon as it is released (should be very very soon ;-).  We're currently verifying with customers that it fixes their issues and there are no unexpected problems.

• Service Pack 1 for Engineer's Toolset 9.2 now available.  We believe this service pack resolves many of the switch port mapper issues described in this thread. 

See announcements area for more details: