3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2007 10:14 PM by Network_Guru

Need better remote poller management

BryanBecker

In our enviroment we have 4 SLX pollers and 1 SLX server running the web site.  When it comes time to do upgrades it can be a hassle upgrading 5 servers.  For one you have to shut down all the pollers. Once you install the software on 1 poller it starts the services and runs the configuration wizard.  You have to again stop all the services and go to the next server.

It would be nice if :

1. You can designate a server as the master and it can push the upgrades to the remote pollers
      2. After the upgrade you have a choice to start the services or not
      3. Run the db upgrade/check only once....not every time a poller is upgraded
      BB 
        • Re: Need better remote poller management
          denny.lecompte

Bryan,

We plan to do some significant work on the pollers in 2008.  We'll be sure to include those idea during that work.

Thanks,

Denny     

rgward

Here is another feature request for the Hot-Standby poller.

HS poller should be in the state to assume polling immediately upon a primary poller failure (i.e., takeover timer threshold reached). Today, upon detecting a primary poller failure, it takes several minutes to ramp up (read into memory the db) before the HS poller assumes polling.    

Network_Guru

The same goes for the hotfixes,
                  In V8.1 some hotfixes stop & restart the polling services, while other's do not.

I prefer to stop the services myself, install all the hotfixes and then restart the services.
                  Nothing like bouncing the services several times in a minute and sending our 100's of false alerts to everyone..
                  I normally keep the Advanced Alerting service disabled for 15 minutes, until things have stabilized after a restart.