7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2007 8:18 AM by davidmaltby

TFTP Server and Multiple NICs

jonchill

I am having serious problems getting the TFTP server to work with the correct NIC at the moment it's continually using my wireless connection which is at the top of the list but I want it to use my wired connection so at the moment I have to disable the wireless NIC and open the TFTP server so it then picks up the right NIC.

I logged a call with support to see if there was a way of chosing which NIC you could assign to the TFTP server and the response I got was

Update for Case #20884 - "TFTP Server and Multi NIC Cards"

Jon,

If your wireless card is your default NIC card then yes its going to look for the default.. So it isn't the fact that the TFTP server is looking for your wireless card, its the fact that it looks for the default NIC card. For the TFTP server to do what it does in the way that it does it, The tool needs to look for the default. An easier work around for you is to configure the second card as the default. I'm glad I was able to assist you with this information and another direction as a work around.

This case is closed

James

Personally I think this is an absolutely discraceful response I don't know where he got the idea from that he was able to assist me but it was not very helpful at all, I thought the Solarwinds support was getting better but I'm obviously wrong. I've tried looking for a way to make my wired NIC default but no luck, how difficult can it be to write this into the software, other manufacturers can manage it so why not Solarwinds?Also I was looking at putting Toolset on our Orion\Cirrus server which has four NICs in but until I find a resolution to this problem I won't be installing it, I'll be using TFTP off a server that only has a single NIC which isn't ideal.Anyone know how to change my default NIC card?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jon

• Re: TFTP Server and Multiple NICs
          mark wiggans

I'm not too sure about this one, the only thing I can think to do would be to define the NIC card same way you would with Orion and Cirrus
          so that when the tools access the net they use a specific NIC. My understanding is it's not actually changing the defaults, but defining what traffic goes to what NICs. Perhaps someone else can enlighten the both of us.

guod

I had a similar issue with a wireless card long ago. (It's a long story, but I needed the TFTP server to be on the same subnet as my wired NIC)

I would simply disable my laptop's wireless card (leaving the wired NIC active), start the TFTP server and then re-enable the wireless card. Definitely not a graceful solution, but once the TFTP server started, it would not change from it's original NIC.

I'm not sure about changing the default NIC though.  Sorry.

Doug 

davidmaltby

I must apologize on behalf of SolarWinds for this response from our support.  I'm the development lead on ToolSet and am looking at the source code right now to get you an answer.  I'll get back to you in a short while.

Thanks,

David

davidmaltby

I have verified in code that you cannot select a particular NIC card.  It will always bind to the default NIC.  We can look at adding this ability into future versions.  Do you have any suggestions on how you would like for this feature to work?

jonchill

David,

Thanks for thr response and info. The way I would like to see it work would be that when you start the TFTP server for the first time it and if you had multiple NIC's it would ask which NIC you would like to bind the server to then from that point onwards if you were using it as a service it would always use that card. I think you would always need an option in the settings to change it if you add or change your NIC's.

Thanks again.

Jon

jonchill

Just found this on download.com Tftpd32 3.03 it allows the selection of your NIC card unfortunately it's not a service but it allows me to TFTP without going through the pains of disabling and enabling NIC's and it will allow you to fix a NIC in the settings so you don't need to choose each time.

It actually works first time as well so will definately be staying with TFTPD until Solarwinds can iron out the problem I've had and the NIC issue.

Jon