5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2007 11:43 AM by jrutski

Ability to measure transaction response time from APM

Not sure if this has been posted before, but is it possible to measure transaction response time also.

What I mean by this is using SQL as an example, at the moment APM can monitor SQL's processes and it's TCP ports etc which is much better.

It would be great if you could configure APM to run an actual SQL script e.g. keeping it very simple

select *

from APM_Config

or any other SQL query for that matter, time/graph how long this transaction takes and report it to the website. This would allow customers to run "live" transactions and then measure exactly how the user experience is and then alert when a threshold has been exceeded.

Similarly, for web services - to be able to open a page and time how long it takes for a string to appear e.g. "SolarWinds Orion Network Performance Monitor" on the bottom line of your webpage and/or nest a few pages to mimic typical web usage.

Sorry if this has been mentioned on another thread!

KK 

• Re: Ability to measure transaction response time from APM
          chris.lapoint

What I mean by this is using SQL as an example, at the moment APM can monitor SQL's processes and it's TCP ports etc which is much better.

It would be great if you could configure APM to run an actual SQL script e.g. keeping it very simple

select *

from APM_Config

or any other SQL query for that matter, time/graph how long this transaction takes and report it to the website. This would allow customers to run "live" transactions and then measure exactly how the user experience is and then alert when a threshold has been exceeded.

This is a great idea.  I'll add this as an enhancement request, but can't promise anything for v1.   Just curious, what is your responsibility within your organization?   Do you own both network and servers?   To open the kimono a bit, we're positioning APM as "application/service monitoring for the network guy".    I'm trying to understand if/how/when SQL servers fall into this realm of responsibility.

Similarly, for web services - to be able to open a page and time how long it takes for a string to appear e.g. "SolarWinds Orion Network Performance Monitor" on the bottom line of your webpage and/or nest a few pages to mimic typical web usage.

Check out the HTTPS monitor.  There is the ability to enter a search string.  Let me know if this is what you're after...

I work for Kenson in the UK - It's something we get asked for a lot from customer's, in their words "true application monitoring!" as generally, the Network guys want to move the "blame" factor back to the Application guys! Having worked on both sides I tend to agree with them!!

KK 

chris.lapoint

Ok, makes perfect sense.  We've heard this quite a bit from customers in the US as well.   So, continuing this thread of moving the "blame" factor back to the Application guys, am I correct in inferring that your network customers are really asking for more user experience monitoring? That is, the ability to test the availability/performance of applications from an end user perspective through synthetic transactions (as you suggested).   And, these network customers are not asking for deep application monitoring of Exchange and SQL performance counters (through WMI)?  

Ok, makes perfect sense.  We've heard this quite a bit from customers in the US as well.   So, continuing this thread of moving the "blame" factor back to the Application guys, am I correct in inferring that your network customers are really asking for more user experience monitoring? That is, the ability to test the availability/performance of applications from an end user perspective through synthetic transactions (as you suggested).

Yes thats correct! 

And, these network customers are not asking for deep application monitoring of Exchange and SQL performance counters (through WMI)?  

They do require this ability too 

jrutski

Chris-

To add to this- I'm networking and machine hardware. I try to stay out of applications as much as I can, but we are a small shop, so that really isn't possible. What little knowledge I have of SQL DBs is mostly from working with the Orion DB and writing the resource code for the custom "asset management resource" in the Orion Website...and that little coding came from school, so I was/am rusty.

So when my boss asks if the APM will be able to monitor 'SQL counters' I'm not really sure what he means (but obviously you do, and it uses WMI).

Before we installed our newest production DB server, there were several times when someone would run a report/query on it and it would kill everyone! The only insight that we could gather was from the fact that the CPU would spike. Now, we've got a beefy new server...so it hardly ever spikes- if at all. If there is a way to monitor locked cells/rows, SQL counters, etc, that would be great. One thing I also think would be great would be able to monitor things like disk I/O and disk queue (I assume these would both be WMI).