This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

8e6 Content Filter - does not support int mib error

After adding this device using snmp 2c and waiting for it to discover interfaces and supported MIB's it provides the following error:

8e6 does not support the Interfaces MIB

Does the Orion not have full MIB support for the 8e6 content filter appliance?  If not, how do I get the MIB's and add my own support?  Thanks for any advice.

• I had a similar problem adding a device configured the same as three others that worked..

I have confirmed that I can ping the device from my SW server, the community string is correct (get a different message when intentionally not correct). the message i get is a small error box titled NetPerfMon, "unknown does not support Internfaces MIB".

does anyone have insight as to the cause?? 

thanks in advance

Rod

• I have the same issue on a standard HP Proliant Server running Windows 2003 server (it is a Domain Controller).  All my other servers work fine.

Regards

Rich

• After adding this device using snmp 2c and waiting for it to discover interfaces and supported MIB's it provides the following error:

8e6 does not support the Interfaces MIB

Does the Orion not have full MIB support for the 8e6 content filter appliance?  If not, how do I get the MIB's and add my own support?  Thanks for any advice.

Orion does have that MIB support built-in (assuming the device isn't using undefined MIBs - which Orion will support, but you'll need to set up custom pollers) but the device isn't responding to the standard interface MIBs, which I believe are .1.3.6.1.2.1.x; the device might only be responding to .1.3.6.1.4.1 which has system & volume information.

I ran across this error trying to install Net-SNMP on a Win2003 Server (standard) box that doesn't have either Perl or the Windows SNMP agent installed (I didn't have access to the Install CD) - there's an install option for Net-SNMP that you can include support for Windows SNMP DLLs but this box didn't have 'em. This box did not have Service Pack 2 installed on it, which I believe may fix this particular issue, also.

Odd thing is, I uninstalled & reinstalled Net-SNMP with the other install option (to not include support for Windows SNMP DLLs) and then this error went away, but Orion *only* showed me the interfaces - no volume, memory or CPU info!

I eventually ditched the Net-SNMP (despite my preferring it) and found all the install files on a different Win2003 server & moved those files manually to the new box. As this is a production server, I didn't want to see if the Net-SNMP problems went away after this was done. If I get a chance to experiment with this further, I'll update the post.

You might want to check on a firmware upgrade for your 8e6 to see if they've fixed the SNMP issue.

Hope this helps,
    Roger "Merch" Merchberger

• I have read this thread and am uncertain as to what the answer is.  We have a brand new 8e6 r3000 and I am getting the error about it not supporting the interfaces mib.  Is this something I can fix in Orion or must I take it up with 8e6? -Debbi

• I have read this thread and am uncertain as to what the answer is.  We have a brand new 8e6 r3000 and I am getting the error about it not supporting the interfaces mib.  Is this something I can fix in Orion or must I take it up with 8e6? -Debbi

Interesting that this thread both answered my question and might help with yours.  I'm just now getting SNMP monitoring started on our CentOS 5 servers, and right out of the box the "Does not support Interfaces MIB" message pops up.  Changing the net-snmp "read-only" initial snmpwalk value to 1.3.6.1.2.1 allowed Orion to see the device and get the interfaces / volumes / CPU data.

We also have a 8e6 R3000 I cannot get to with Orion, but at the moment I suspect our overzealous admin has firewalled it near to death.  The fact that you do get the "does not support..." message indicates 8e6 may have to modify the /etc/snmp/snmp.conf on the R3000 to allow Orion to view the server.

I'll report back with my findings, but I'd suggest contacting 8e6 with these details.  Good luck!

• I ran into the same problem recently, when trying to install SNMP on a Windows 2003 Standard SP2 server.  When we build a server, we often stage the media locally (just in case) for reference if the media (or an image) is not available on the network.  On my first attempt I installed the SNMP service using the files from that image placed there when the server was built (at least a few years ago.)

It occurred to me, after it failed, that there was probably an update from the time that the server was installed to the current SP2 iteration.  I grabbed the files from a piece of W2K3 Standard SP2 media and it installed and queried correctly.

If it is an existing server, make sure you are using the latest/greatest media to grab the SNMP .dll, etc. files from or you may encounter the SNMP interfaces error.

Hope it helps.

BTW:  This manifests, in Orion 10.0, as being unable to see any resources, even though the SNMP query is successful.