5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2007 1:41 PM by chris.lapoint

Can't Define Plain English Names for SNMP or WMI Processes

aLTeReGo

This seems like a huge step backwards, or a possible oversight but there appears to be no method for defining a custom name for a WMI or SNMP process. For instance the process "VProSvc.exe" means nothing to anyone, but the name "Symantec LiveState Recovery" means a lot to the sysadmins.

Could you please consider returning the ability to define custom names to processes?

• Re: Can't Define Plain English Names for SNMP or WMI Processes
          chris.lapoint

Definitely hear you on this one.   Have you tried going renaming the monitor name for that specific process?   I have a requirement for the next build to have the monitor name be set to the default process name.  

josh.clark

If you edit an Application Template, you can change the monitor's name. So if you create a process monitor for "VProSvc.exe", you can change the monitor's name from "Process Monitor - WMI" to "Symantec LiveState Recovery". 

If you edit an Application instance, you can edit the name if any monitors that are not inherited from the template (if you add a process monitor directly to the application rather than to the template).

For monitors that are inherited from the application template, the monitor's name will be the same as in the application template. There is a bug in the CTP build where we do not correctly inherit changes to the monitor template's name in monitor instances (see known issue #443). 

To work around this you can

1.  Remove the monitor from the template and then add it back again with the correct name. 

2.  Add a monitor directly to the application instance.  Edit the Application and click "Add Monitor" 

aLTeReGo

I think once I'm able to rename a monitor (Bug 474 - see I can read this will be the way to go.

On a related note, it's the opinion of everyone here who's been looking over my shoulder all day as I play with the CTP build of APM that under all the "Top Process Monitors by" modules the "Application Name" should come before "Process Name". Again, the emphasis being on the application name, not the process name since most people don't have their executable names memorized. 

It's something small but it would make a big difference.

aLTeReGo

(On a related note, it's the opinion of everyone here who's been looking over my shoulder all day as I play with the CTP build of APM that under all the "Top Process Monitors by" modules the "Application Name" should come before "Process Name".)

Wow, is this a grammar train wreck or what?

chris.lapoint

On a related note, it's the opinion of everyone here who's been looking over my shoulder all day as I play with the CTP build of APM that under all the "Top Process Monitors by" modules the "Application Name" should come before "Process Name". Again, the emphasis being on the application name, not the process name since most people don't have their executable names memorized. 

We'll evaluate making the change for beta1.   Just curious for other beta testers reading this post, are you of the same opinion?