This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Average Disk Queue length Monitor question

Hi all,

Thank you for all the help so far, I have a few of questions about setting up a monitor for average disk queue length.  I created monitors for the (3) available monitors on my server.  I have a 2 different 'drives' one in the local C: drive and the other is an array, the D:\ drive.

As stated, I have creared the following monitors:

I think the first corresponds to the C: drive, the second corresponds to the D: and the third is the sum of them together.  Can I get clarification on this point?  Does anyone know if my assumption is correct?

My second question is this, within the monitor while it is running,  there is a 'value' variable that populates with a number as I increase the load on the disk queues.  However it never seems to be exactly the same as the number reported by Perfmon.  Of course, it could be that I am just not be able to physically switch back and forth while forcing a test to see the same numeric value.  Should I expect this number to be the same as reported by Perfmon?

My third question also relates to the 'value' variable.  Unless the load is greater than 1 it doesn't seem to report anything.  Ever.  However the value is reported to four decimal places behind the integer.  For example, most of the time it sits at 0.0000 while Perfmon is happily reporting 0.027 or so.  Is this by design or is this an incorrectly defined monitor?

Finally I have set my Analysis of Test Results to the Boolean range

Pass if :

<= 2

OR

<=0

My goal was to set a test that would pass and not alert so long as the average disk queue length didn't sustain a load greater than 2 for 2 minutes or more.  If it does, then I want to alert the administrators and take action.  Is my logic consistent? 

thanks for all the help,

Jerry