11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2007 9:31 AM by chris.lapoint

Toolsets 9.1 NetFlow Configurator

I tried this for the first time today....... but couldn't get too far

Turns out, I can't enter the IP address of a router which is outside of my local subnet.

Is this by design or is it a bug?

If it's by design, then it limits the usefulness of the tool as I would expect many people have routers that are not on their local subnet - other end of a WAN link for example.

In my case, it is the other side of my firewall, switching from a private to a public address range.

• Re: Toolsets 9.1 NetFlow Configurator

small update....

i seem to be able to add any address which is not in my public address range......... expect the external address of my firewall...... how wierd is that??

chris.lapoint

NetFlow Configurator uses SNMP set commands to configure NetFlow on your router.    Can you access addresses outside of your public address range with other SNMP-based applications?   Perhaps your firewall is blocking SNMP requests? 

What is the error message that you are receiving?

There is a log file located in \My Documents\SolarWinds\Logging that can help in debugging problems with the NetFlowConfigurator.  Can you email the contents of the file to me? 

SNMP works fine through my firewall - I monitor the router with Orion. 

However, I don't get as far as putting an SNMP string in.

I enter the IP address, then go to click on the SNMP string box, at this point i get a red exclamation mark next to the IP address box - see attached file.

There is nothing in the log file other than the startup entries:

2007-08-29 15:48:35,224 [Main UI Thread] INFO  SolarWinds.Logging.LoggingHelper - ******************************************
                    2007-08-29 15:48:35,224 [Main UI Thread] INFO  SolarWinds.Logging.LoggingHelper -  startup
                    2007-08-29 15:48:35,224 [Main UI Thread] INFO  SolarWinds.Logging.LoggingHelper - 29 August 2007  15:48:35
                    2007-08-29 15:48:35,224 [Main UI Thread] INFO  SolarWinds.Logging.LoggingHelper - NetBIOS Computer: BORG
                    2007-08-29 15:48:35,224 [Main UI Thread] INFO  SolarWinds.Logging.LoggingHelper - OS: Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
                    2007-08-29 15:48:35,224 [Main UI Thread] INFO  SolarWinds.Logging.LoggingHelper - CPU count: 2
                    2007-08-29 15:48:35,224 [Main UI Thread] INFO  SolarWinds.Logging.LoggingHelper - IP Address: 10.1.1.4
                    2007-08-29 15:48:35,224 [Main UI Thread] INFO  SolarWinds.Logging.LoggingHelper - Current user: STARFLEET\chris
                    2007-08-29 15:48:35,224 [Main UI Thread] INFO  SolarWinds.Logging.LoggingHelper - Current Culture: English (United Kingdom) - en
                    2007-08-29 15:48:35,224 [Main UI Thread] INFO  SolarWinds.Logging.LoggingHelper - Current UI Culture: English (United Kingdom) - en
                    2007-08-29 15:48:35,224 [Main UI Thread] INFO  SolarWinds.Logging.LoggingHelper - Is Running as Administrator: True
                    2007-08-29 15:48:35,224 [Main UI Thread] INFO  SolarWinds.Logging.LoggingHelper - ******************************************

If somebody at SolarWinds wants to GoToMeeting on this, they can.....

I have looked at the code where the error is generated but I haven't been able to duplicate the problem or explain why it is happening.  This is going to require deeper investigation so I would like you to open a case with our support department.  Mention that you talked to me and they'll send me the case number which will have your contact information. 

Case number is 16311

I was wondering if anything ever came of this. I am getting the same results.

Bill

We worked with this customer to resolve the problem and it will be fixed in the next release of the Toolset.  

The fix for this issue is already in the free version of the NetFlow Configurator that can be downloaded from the SolarWinds web site.  If you want to ensure that you are experiencing the same issue that we have already fixed you can install the free NetFlow Configurator on another computer and try to configure the device where you were having problems.  If the problem still occurs with the free NetFlow Configurator, please open an incident with our Support Team so we can diagnose the issue. 

Ok. Thanks for the info. I hae done as you suggested and now I am getting something that seems fairly obvious but I don't really understand. I am attempting to run the Netflow Configurator on a Cisco 6513 using IOS Version 12.2(17d)SXB10 and after putting in the IP address and SNMP string I click next and get this error. "The device you specified does not allow the configuring of NetFlow support, ports, ingress and egress interfaces through SNMP." Is this a limitation of the IOS Version or what? I am just getting into NetFlow usage and am not really familiar with it but I do have it set up on this switch and it is sending netflow data out to my pc. Any help is always appreciated.

chris.lapoint

Yes, this is limitation of the IOS version.  Unfortunately, not all Cisco IOS versions support the SNMP set commands for configuring NetFlow.   As you noted, this has nothing to do with the ability of the device to support NetFlow.   We are exploring what it would take to put together a list of which IOS / device combinations are supported, but it has proved very difficult.  At the very least, we'll look at making this message clearer ;-)