This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Cisco Power Used MIB

Has anybody figured out the MIB to track how much power a Cisco Switch is using?   

For example on a IOS 4500 Catalyst.  You do a show power available and you get information like this below.  I would like to be able to track how much power our Cisco switches are using as we add POE devices to them.  Thanks - Greg

Power Summary                      Maximum
 (in Watts)              Used     Available
----------------------   ----     ---------
System Power (12V)        570        1360
Inline Power (-50V)        41        3590
Backplane Power (3.3V)     40          40
----------------------   ----     ---------
Total                     651 (not to exceed Total Maximum Available = 4200)

•  Well I believe that I have found the PS section of the MIB database - 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.117.1.1

However anything I try to add seems to give me non-sense values that don't match up with the values that I see on the switch.

Anybody have any luck pulling accurate Cisco PS information ? 

• You'll want to use OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.117.1.1.4.1.4 to look at the current draw and OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.117.1.1.4.1.3 to look at the max available.

I was checking this out on my 4506 switches (which have redundant power supplies running in redundant mode).  When I looked at the values returned, they were double what they should be.  I then moved the redundancy mode to combined, thinking maybe that it was a glitch.  But that got doubled as well.

Seems to be a glitch somewhere.  But at least you can still see how much inline power is being used percentage-wise.  Plus you can just do the math to get the real numbers. 

• I know it seems like the inline power values are doubled, but it's actually a little more complicated.

The unit of the value given by 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.117.1.1.4.1.3 and 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.117.1.1.4.1.4 is 'centiAmps' @ 50v. If the math to determine wattage is WATTAGE = AMPS * VOLTS, the resulting math for this situation would be:

(OID Result) * 0.01 * 50

I'm assuming OID result for the above example for drawn inline power was 81. Making the math look like: 82 * 0.01 * 50 = 41

Hope this helps.