3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2007 1:46 PM by BakerD

Feature Request - Engineers Edition

Miron

Hi,

We have been using Orion for a number of years and have recently started using the engineers toolset, in order to have local monitoring for some of the workstations. For myself and my staff while there are a variety of tools that are quite useful it seems that it would useful if you could create a monitor profile, with your favourite tools that you could align on your desktop either in a console area with the different apps attached as snap-ins or de-attaching the applications as you feel like it. 

A number of the Apps dont allow you to change fonts, view , custom sizes that stay fixed. There is also a lot of space wasted in not being able to get rid of the icons on the top as you can do in I.E. It would also be quite usefull to be able to launch multiple watchit applications and rename nodes without relying on a dns server or hosts file. You could have watchit app running that only monitors your core devices, and another on another part of the screen that does your servers maybe.

Just a thought.

Miron

• Re: Feature Request - Engineers Edition
          chris.lapoint

Hi Miron,

Thanks for the feedback.  This is an interesting idea.  It almost sounds like you're asking for something similar to the customizable Google sidebar, but with Toolset applications as the widgets.  Which Toolset applications would you be most interested in setting up as widgets on your desktop?   

Miron

Hi,

Thanks for the response, useful tools that I can think of would be tools similar to watchit, trace route and latency tools, the gauges and arp watch are some of the things we use quite regularly.

Regards

Miron

BakerD

I was just searching for NIC monitoring software for a PC and most of it out there is bandwidth monitoring for home users.  I think what would be nice is a portable network util that you could carry around on a USB key.  Then you could run it and in real time see/capture NIC data and stats.  Tools like mentioned above would be great.

If not able to run off a USB key, then maybe small enough to fit on a USB key and easily installed.  Nothing that requires registration or activation etc.  If a  PC is experiencing problems, I want to be able to start troubleshooting or see traffic right away.  I don't want to have to install, reboot, register etc.  Also if the PC can't keep a good enough connection then it may not be able to register hence making the util useless.

To get an idea, take a look at Bandwidth Monitor  http://www.bwmonitor.com/index.htm and some of its featuers.  The stop watch feature is also nice.