6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2008 12:21 PM by chris.lapoint

Perf Monitor Database woes.

We are using Network Performance Monitor v9 to keep stats for 8 servers, 5 switches, 2 routers, and a couple of other devices like a tape library and SAN switch.  I have nightly maintenance scheduled but still we are getting warnings saying the database is getting too big.  The file is 1.966 GB at the moment and I have just completed a compact operation using db maintenance tool.

What are my options?  I'm not monitoring a large network here.  This seems extremely limiting.  I would like to keep stats for at least 6 months, if not a year.  Is this not realistic?  Why can't I utilize one of our Oracle databases?  Is the toolset meant for home networks? 

I was sold an enterprise class monitoring solution....

• Re: Perf Monitor Database woes.
          mark wiggans

If you require data retention longer than 30 days, we highly recommend you upgrade to Orion Network Performance Monitor. Orion NPM complements theToolset's real-time network analysis and diagnostic capabilities. Orion NPM provides support for thousands of interfaces, virtually unlimited storage using a Microsoft SQL database backend, and includes a web-based interface.

Is there an upgrade path from the engineers toolset or do I need to purchase Orion in full? 

chris.lapoint

I would recommend contacting SolarWinds sales. They may be able to credit your Engineer's purchase towards an Orion purchase.  That said, most customers actually choose to use both products together.  Orion for long-term monitoring, trending, performance analysis and Toolset for tactical monitoring, troubleshooting, and diagnostics.  In fact, if you have Toolset installed on your desktop, you can right-click from the Orion web console and launch Toolset applications.

guod

It all depends on how many different stats of each device you are monitoring, how often you are moitoring each element and how long you are keeping the stats for.

Sorry, but 2 GB is not a very big DB

We are monitoring over 500 devices (mostly switches, wireless access points, routers, and a few servers) and over 11,000 elements every 15 minutes. (a few are more often) We are also using the SYSLOG server to assist in monitoring Internet and VPN activity.

Based on that, I would certainly call Orion NetPerfMon an enterprise capable tool. Our database is currently over 146 GB (much of this is due to the SYSLOG)

I have to admit I'm dreading how long the upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 will take.

chris.lapoint

As noted in the v9 release notes:

"While Engineer's Toolset provides detailed statistics collection for analysis, troubleshooting, and diagnostics, the embedded database is not intended for long-term monitoring of networks with more than 500 network elements and has a 2GB limit on stored data.

If you have a larger network and/or require data retention longer than 30 days, we highly recommend upgrading to Orion Network Performance Monitor (Orion NPM). Orion NPM is the perfect complement to Toolset's realtime network analysis and diagnostic capabilities. Orion NPM provides support for thousands of interfaces, virtually unlimited storage using a Microsoft SQL database backend, and includes a web-based interface to allow you and your entire team access to network availability and both realtime and historical statistics."

http://www.solarwinds.com/support/Toolsets/docs/ReleaseNotes/releaseNotes.htm#section8

I would recommend contacting SolarWinds sales if you believe that Orion was really the solution you were after. They may be able to credit your Engineer's purchase towards an Orion purchase.  That said, as noted above, most customers actually choose to use both products together.  Orion for long-term monitoring, trending, performance analysis and Toolset for tactical monitoring, troubleshooting, and diagnostics.  In fact, if you have Toolset installed on your desktop, you can right-click from the Orion web console and launch Toolset applications.

Hope this helps!