5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2007 3:38 PM by BakerD

WAN Accelerators

BakerD

Is anyone successfully using NTA or any other netflow programs with a WAN Accelerator?  We are in the process of evaluating different vendors.  Cisco's WAAS doesn't mess with netflow data, F5's WANJet does.  Our next eval will be Riverbed.  We have yet to use NTA, but use another netflow program called Webview.  NTA is not quite to the level we need, but we do plan on implementing at some point. 

Basically the netflow data is there, but all you can see is the data between the two endpoint WAN Accelerators.  You also can't see a break down of the traffic.

If you have NTA working with any WAN Accelerators, please let me know your setup, devices etc if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks

• Re: WAN Accelerators
          denny.lecompte

When you say NTA is "not quite to the level we need", what do you mean?  What's missing?  We're aggressively developing this product, so please let us know what you need.

BakerD

When you say NTA is "not quite to the level we need", what do you mean?  What's missing?  We're aggressively developing this product, so please let us know what you need.

For one we have stayed away because of the many issues I have read about on these forums users have had.  I know this app is new and bugs to work out.  There have been a lot of fixes since I last looked at it, so I think I will get everything upgraded to 8.1 and take a look at NTA 2.1.

One thing I really like about our current netflow product is I can look at a graph showing traffic flow on a link to a remote office.  It shows an overlay of all the different protocols or apps that you define in different colors.  This allows you to see the complete traffic being used and at the same time a breakdown of that traffic.  Then you can say click on green HTTP(80) traffic and it will show you at that point in time src/dst IPs, flows, bytes, packets and secs.  It is really easy and straight forward and only a few clicks to get this data.  From the online demo of NTA, I couldn't easily find what I was looking for.  I may just need to become more familiar with it though.

bnoone

We use Expand Networks accelerators. It supports Netflow directly, so we get the Netflow from the accelerator rather than from the Router.

I used the SolarWinds Netflow Analyzer with the Riverbed appliance with no problems. We decided on the Juniper WXC devices which did not work with the SW NFM product.

FYI: The Riverbed appliance was very good in delaing with CIFS and MAPI traffic. We decided on the Juniper WXC device due to its QoS capabilities that Riverbed lacked.

Stoner

RiOS version 4 from Riverbed now has direct netflow export capabilities.