9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2007 11:06 AM by denny.lecompte

Netflow Realtime error

as soon as I enable netflow destination to my PC I get a fatal error with the new tool

"Fatal error: Input string was not in a correct format."

• Re: Netflow Realtime error
          sgurewitz

I've had no luck getting the real-time Netflow app to work at all. I get that error when I enter the IP address of a device. If I can enter in an IP address that it likes, then I get a "Netflow is not detected on the selected interface". I'm using a Cisco router that is reporting to Scrutinizer just fine. I added my workstation as a receiver of flow info and I still continue to get an error.

Its not supposed to be this hard! :)

chris.lapoint

First of all, I absolutely agree it shouldn't be this hard and we're working to resolve your issues.   The error your are receiving is due to a known issue (see release notes), which occurs when adding NetFlow-enabled routers with noncontiguous interfaces.  We will have a 9.0.1 patch release out very soon to fix this problem.

If you're having issues getting NetFlow Realtime up and running, please open a ticket with support so we can track this appropriately.  And, please keep the feedback coming.  We really appreciate all your help!!

One question on your NetFlow error on the router that does come up without error, do you know if you're attempting to send NetFlow v9?   NetFlow Realtime only supports v5 today.

sgurewitz

Thanks for the quick response Chris. My configs specifically state version 5 in them. Unfortunately when I downloaded the software on Tuesday and read the release notes, there was no mention of the issue. After you mentioned it, I now see that the release notes were updated on Thursday. Guess I need to ask for some version control on the release notes since most folks wouldn't know that they had been updated at all.

How did that make it through the beta tests? Seem like that would have come up at some point. I know I was part of the first batch of customers to get 9.0 but I'm very surprised no one caught that in the beta program.

I'm going to open a ticket with support since I can't make the app work at all and this was really the most exciting thing about the 9.0 upgrade to me.

I am trying to evaluate the toolset and I am also getting this error.  How would I go about getting the 9.0.1 patch then?  If I download again will the trial start over?

mark wiggans

JMP-

I would suggest contacting Sales and they could assist you- 866-530-8100

Any news on the patch for this problem? It would be really handy to get this fixed soon!

mark wiggans

This was resolved with v 9.0.1

So it was, thanks it's getting difficult to keep up with all the different versions of Solarwinds products they are updating them so frequently. I suppose they should just release more stable bug free applications to begin with, no?

denny.lecompte

ktm,

We have been releasing a lot in the first half of '07.  To some extent, we've been trying to make up for the fact that we had a while where we didn't release much.

We try our best to release products without bugs; however, we have a large customer base with a wide variety of environments, and although we beta test with lots of customers, some bugs slip through.  Our strategy is to quickly release hotfixes or service releases as they're encountered.  I don't think we're different than most software companies in this regard. 

That said, we do plan more releases in 2007.  We are trying to balance the somewhat disruptive effect of a new release with the need to satisfy customer requests for new functionality.  Please keep up the feedback and help us to steer down the middle path on those two extremes.

Thanks,

Denny