9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2007 9:35 AM by jonchill

Feature request

tgoyette
      Has any thought been given to making Cirrus and Orion multi-threaded applications? Would like to see that.
        • Re: Feature request

I'd also like to see the ability to have a single device in multiple groups so that I can run jobs based off of various group types.

For example, I want to see ISDN errors on my routers that have voice on them, so I'd like to issue snmp trap isdn errors on those devices, but not on other routers that don't use voice features - like ones that have ISDN for backup lines.

If I start unique groups for each of the possible allocations, then I'll wind up with a ton of small groups rendering grouping less meaningful.  But if I had custom attributes, I think that would help.

AND - the ability to make those stupid pop-up tabs on the right go away - forever.

-dz

denny.lecompte
            Has any thought been given to making Cirrus and Orion multi-threaded applications? Would like to see that.

That's not really a feature so much as a design decision.  What problem do you want to solve with multi-threading for Orion?  ...for Cirrus?

iunderwo

Certainly, multi-threading Orion would give a boost to anyone who's maxing out the single thread that the poller runs in.  With dual and quad core systems being more commonplace, it'd be nice to be able to fully use the machine's capacity.  I ran into that problem frequently at my last employer where the dual-CPU system would essentially be maxed at 50%, because it was running on one thread.

Of course, that was in the 7.x days ... so I'm not sure if the situation has changed any.

bleearg13

That's not really a feature so much as a design decision.  What problem do you want to solve with multi-threading for Orion?  ...for Cirrus?

Orion definitely does not take advantage of multi-processor systems.  In addition, Cirrus, when it runs, takes up 100% of one of the CPUs in my multi-CPU server.  Distributing this load among the other three processors that are sitting practically idle will help reduce the number of annoying Cirrus "Network problems are preventing Cirrus from downloading a properly formatted configuration file."  When Cirrus uses one of the idle processors, my number of Cirrus errors per hourly run drops dramatically.