This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Approving Windows Updates

Hey everyone,

I'm very new to Patch Manager, and WSUS for that matter, so please pardon my ignorance. I'm tasked with learning these tools so I can take over the responsibility of updating and reporting on our companies computers. I've watched the learning videos, read countless threads, but for some reason I can't seem to figure out approving updates. I have a test machine that I've assigned to an "Alpha" test group so I can test simply running the updates. I must be missing some kind of resource somewhere that could assist in some very basics? I've tried approving critical and security updates (for my Alpha group only), and force them onto my test machine but for some reason it doesn't pull/install the updates I chose. I have no idea how it's choosing the updates, and of course, the end result is that it fails.

Current goal: is to fully update my test machine using Patch Manager so I'm comfortable moving into my "Beta" test group, which consists of about a dozen computer in my local office. Then, of course, push the updates out to the remainder of the company once I'm confident my local Beta group is running without issues.

Thanks in advance for the help!