This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How does one allow a user to view and edit an NPM Report without giving them Administrator Rights?

I want a user to only have the ability to modify and view a report, but I don't seem to be able do it without giving them Admin rights.

What, other than Allow Administrator Rights, is required in addition to Manage Reports to view and edit and create a Report?

pastedImage_0.png

• That setting is in the account settings, either individual or group.

pastedImage_0.png

• If I'm understanding your issue correctly, then the only thing I have that's different is that I use the No Limitation option under the Report Limitation Category drop-down.  This allows me to view, edit and create reports without giving people administrator or node management rights.  Hopefully that works for you.

pastedImage_0.png

• Thanks for the input.  This user does have No Limitation selected, but still can't view or edit reports.  All other rights are restricted.

I'm interested in knowing if I have to allow Administrator Rights (see below), and then try to begin restricting individual rights.

Any other ideas?

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

• Do you believe Admin Rights is required when I've allowed, in the Reports section, Report Management Rights?

pastedImage_0.png

• I never had to give admin rights to the person that needed to adjust a report, but he did have node management rights for the servers he was interested in.  Just the windows servers, he didn't have node management rights to linux servers or network gear.

• Thinking back over the years....  

I had a CIO that I have given Report Management Rights so he could make and get uptime and reliability reports from.  He had system wide read only access.  No admin rights at all other than for reports.  So I don't think anyone needs much more than that.

This setting should respect account limitations should they exist.  That was in place for the Windows server manager mentioned earlier.

• Thank you, John.  In this case I need this user to be able to edit a specific report, but make no other changes.  I expected that giving him Read-Only rights would impede his ability to change this one report.  But it isn't working now.  I may as well change his rights to Read-Only and see if that does it. 

The odd / awkward thing is that giving someone Administrative Rights also seems to disable my ability to provide granular access within the suite of products.  For example, someone with Administrative Rights also gets Node Management rights, along with other high-level permissions, and I'm unable to set those additional items' access rights to "No" or "None".

Well, I'm upgrading now from 2019.2 to 2019.4 with HF5 & HF3 (which is taking a suspiciously long time).  Perhaps the upgrade will fix this issue.  I'll know tomorrow.

• Your screen-shot shows that your Alerts have No Limitation, but I think you need to update the Report Limitation Category to No Limitations.

pastedImage_0.png