This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Log into secondary router and SSH to primary using alert and NCM script for diagnostics

Hi,

I'm looking to use alerts & actions to automate the diagnosis of incidents and was wondering if anyone has achieved this or would know how to do the following? Currently, I have an alarm set up with the following conditions:

If node old status != up & new status = up, execute NCM script (show version, sh ip bgp nei, show logging etc.), email the output using ${N=Alerting;M=Notes}.

This works okay and does what I want but the issue is the script cannot be run until the device is back up, which could be too long, it doesn't allow the NOC to progress with third-party providers or customers straight away.

I would like SolarWinds to do the following:

1. Detects R01 is down.

2. Log into R02 and SSH across to R01 via an inside address e.g. HSRP management IP.

3. Runs diagnostic script on R01: sh ver, sh logging, sh ip bgp summ etc.

4. Sends an email with script output using ${N=Alerting;M=Notes}.

The way I was thinking of doing this is defining a relationship between the nodes so SolarWinds knows they're a pair. Create a custom field ${HopAcrossIP} which will store the IP to SSH to the other device, and create the following script to call/[parse the information.

ssh -l ${Username} ${Node.Y.IP}

${password}

ssh ${HopAcrossIP}

${password}

[Run Script]

exit

exit

Would this be possible? Is this the best way to achieve it? I feel like it would be a lot of manual data input at the start but also lacks dynamic changes which could become a nightmare to manage.

Thanks

Dillon