This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to create a separate views for groups?

There has to be a better answer to what I'm trying to accomplish here. Let give you a little background on my network. We are a new WISP and have ~70 wireless towers. Each tower has 4-8 base-stations, 1 switch, and 1 UPS. I put all of the equipment of each tower/pole into their own group, then put all those groups into a root group called... Towers/Poles emoticons_happy.png I have many other groups defined as well. Groups of Locations, Roles and Device Types for all of our nodes.

Now, when I'm trying to create views for these groups, I expected it to function just like setting views for nodes but this is not the case. It keeps changes the view of EVERY GROUP. Why?! Why would anyone ever want this?! I have wasted so much time trying to get each pole in its own view. Essentially I want every tower/pole to have a summary view of the equipment with some stats and a topology.

https://support.solarwinds.com/SuccessCenter/s/article/How-to-create-a-separate-group-details-view

I say this article and while it did describe a way to get past this limitation, it put the "groups" in one place. And the WRONG place. It would have been somewhat acceptable if it adds another menu to the actual menu bar but it does not. One thing I have noticed about NPM is the terminology of NPM is not as it seems...
pastedImage_1.png

• I'm only addressing one aspect of this post.  How to use a single view for all of the groups, but still see somewhat customized content.  And really there are several ways, I'll be showing just one.

Add a "Custom Query" widget to the view.  There is a variable ${ID} that holds the group id of the current group you are viewing.  You can use that in the custom query to get what you are looking for.

Example Query:

Select

N.Caption as Device,

'/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-' + n.StatusLED as _IconFor_Device,

n.DetailsURL as _LinkFor_Device,

n.IP,

N.ResponseTime

From Orion.Nodes N

Inner Join Orion.ContainerMembers cm on cm.MemberPrimaryID = N.NodeID

Where

cm.ContainerID = ${ID}

This example will work for Poll01 vs Poll02, it does not work for using Groups of groups in a hierarchy, where you want completely different information on the page for the parent vs the child groups.  That will get more complicated and I'll have to think on it for a bit.  Maybe someone else has already done it.

• Oh nice, I didn't know I could do that with SWQL. Though, I'm still in the learning stage of running SQL and SWQL queries. Now, I wonder how I can make that work with an Orion Map. I'm wanting each Poll to have it's own topology map when it clicked on. I have no idea how to make that happen but you got my gears turning now.

Thank you!

• Ok, slightly off topic, but possibly relevant to you.  CUSTOM PROPERTIES TEES Tees tees ... <echos off in the distance>

I am a huge advocate of custom properties.  Your example above is about the better examples of using groups, but generally I hate groups in Orion.  Even when I use groups, they are just a dynamic query for a custom property.

For example in your setup.  I would add a custom property on nodes called "Poll" that would be the number.  Then the group Poll01, would be dynamic query where the custom property "poll" is 01.  Now you can use either the custom property or the group, whatever fits your needs at the moment.

Custom properties are 100% easier to use in alerts, reports and generally any SWQL query.

• Man, I got a lot to learn about NPM. Seriously, Thank you!

• Does anyone later go back and reread your post because you can't remember if you typed advocate or avocado, because I was thinking about food.  My brain even goes one step farther and type advacato, but since it's got the red underline, my brain goes hey maybe I don't know how to spell that, lets use another word.... guacamole.  Yes, that sounds delicious, "I guacamole custom properties". 

• Today is not Taco Tuesday, it's Thirsty Thurday....FOCUS, ! emoticons_laugh.png

• I agree that Custom Properties would likely be a better fit in this case.  It would still allow you to logically "group" or separate data, better in reporting and alerting scenarios, as well as make it easy to build Orion Maps because you have filters to easily obtain specific entities and add them to a map.  Once you have built a view, you could copy it, and then just filter the view or the widgets on Custom Property 2, 3, and so on. 

• If you really want to get into the weeds of the back end terminology, its a legacy thing.  See if you can dig up screenshots of NPM 10.0 and such and the terminology being used more closely tracks with how the UI worked at that time.  When you spend time in the DB the answer to almost all of the "this doesn't add up" is usually that it did when that feature first came into existence and nobody wants to go back and refactor all the names of the columns or table arrangements for the later adjustments unless there turns out to be a serious show stopping bug in the older structures.

To your real problem, it looks like several others have chimed in with functional work arounds that are pretty much the way I would do it as well.  I often think that Orion new users would be better off if instead of getting sent to the Discovery as soon as you first load the tool up it should take you to the custom properties and tell you "this is the most important foundational element of the whole thing"

• Also,

ADDING CUSTOM TABS TO THE TOP LEVEL NAV BAR with the API

*totally not supported, back up your DB before you try anything but I use this tool with every client I touch these days.

• create active directory groups > put people in the correct groups > make view limitations for each group. Done