This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Duplicate entries in IPAM.GroupNode, and is there a hidden index?

I'm writing a little script that will pull used IPs from specific blocks, and check to see if they are in any of our Visio drawings.

When I'm running a query though I'm getting a lot of duplicate entries which seems a little odd to me. I tried pulling every entity (difficult to do because we can't use SELECT *) I could from the table and I am not seeing any difference in the returned results.

Here's an example of the entities I'm looking to get:

$OrionIPAM_GroupNode = Get-SwisData $swis "SELECT GroupId, ParentId, Address, AddressMask, CIDR, FriendlyName, Comments, VLAN, LastDiscovery FROM IPAM.GroupNode WHERE GroupID = '964'"

This returns 4 results that are all the same.

Is there something wrong with our database?

Is there a hidden index record I'm not seeing from my other query of all entities?

Should I be querying on a different ID?

The idea here is to eventually grab every used IP from every subnet that has "MGMT" somewhere in the Description field in IPAM, which seems to be the 'Comments' field in the IPAM.GroupNode table.

Thanks!

• Hello!

There's nothing wrong with your database, probably just some issues with IPAM and SWQL.

If you are trying to get a hold of the used IP addresses, you should be querying the IPAM.IPNode entity with a WHERE Status=1, something like the following:

SELECT IpNodeId, SubnetId, IPOrdinal, IPAddress, IPAddressN, IPMapped, IPMappedN, Alias, MAC, DnsBackward, DhcpClientName, SysName, Description, Contact, Location, SysObjectID, Vendor, VendorIcon, MachineType, Comments, ResponseTime, LastBoot, LastSync, LastCredential, Status, AllocPolicy, SkipScan, LeaseExpires, DnsBy, MacBy, StatusBy, SystemDataBy, DisplayName, InstanceType, Uri, InstanceSiteId

FROM IPAM.IPNode

WHERE status=1

or, to limit it to GroupID (Subnet with ID) 964:

SELECT IpNodeId, SubnetId, IPOrdinal, IPAddress, IPAddressN, IPMapped, IPMappedN, Alias, MAC, DnsBackward, DhcpClientName, SysName, Description, Contact, Location, SysObjectID, Vendor, VendorIcon, MachineType, Comments, ResponseTime, LastBoot, LastSync, LastCredential, Status, AllocPolicy, SkipScan, LeaseExpires, DnsBy, MacBy, StatusBy, SystemDataBy, DisplayName, InstanceType, Uri, InstanceSiteId

FROM IPAM.IPNode

WHERE SUbnetID=964 AND status=1

Let me know if that helps

• Thanks, while that helps, my need a is a bit more complicated. We have subnets listed in several groups. The only place I can identify which subnet is one I need is by querying the IPAM.GroupNode table first, looking at the 'comments' field for the strings I need. I think I was able to get something reliable with this:

[code] Get-SwisData $swis "SELECT DISTINCT GroupId, ParentId, Address, AddressMask, CIDR, FriendlyName, Comments, VLAN FROM IPAM.GroupNode WHERE Comments LIKE '%FIELD%MGMT%' OR Comments LIKE '%GIL%MGMT%'" [/code]

I can then turn around and do my checks on each IP in the subnet comparing with IPNode.

The DISTINCT is giving me result for each one at least. I'm just hoping there are not some hidden or something. So far so good though.

• That makes sense. I'm confident there's nothing hidden in those two tables and you should be getting the full result set back.

I believe the problem relies at the URI on the IPAM.GroupNode entity hence the duplicate entries:

pastedImage_1.png

As long as you don't select the URI in your SELECT statement and include the DISTINCT you should be on the safe side!

• Thanks!

Out of curiosity, what is the index for that table? Is it just not exposed to the SWIS API?