This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Thin AP alert for multiple controllers x2

Here is an interesting one to think about.

I need to look into a way of adding advanced logic to "Thin AP Down" alerts to create a smarter system then the "out-the-box" alert... I am currently looking into the SWQL but not having much luck. 

The environment has lots of AP's and most are connected to more than 1 controller (Sometimes up to 3) and here is the full scenario of what I am looking for:

Currently setup (Out-the-box)

When an AP goes down - Get an Alert

Example: AP 10.20.30.10 is connected to Controller 1, Controller 2 and Controller 3.

When the node goes down on each controller, I will get an alert per controller.

NEW Alert 1 - Thin AP fully Down

This alert should only be triggered when the thin AP is classed as down on all connected controllers.

Example: AP 10.20.30.10 is connected to Controller 1, Controller 2 and Controller 3.

The Following condition for this AP has to be met "Down on all 3 controllers"

IMPORTANT NOTE: Not all of the AP's on the network are the same (Some only have 1 or 2 controllers attached), so I would believe there would need to be some if/and logic statement like below:

* Total Controller count = Where AP Name x Related Node

if

AP Name = Down

And

Related Node count = Total Controller count

IF the condition above is met, then raise the alert that the Thin AP point is down

NEW Alert 2 - Thin AP "Leg Down"

Like how alert 1 is structured, if the Thin AP is not "Fully down" then it is only partly down because it has lost contact to one of the controllers that is not equal to maximum.

The Following condition has to be met "Down on 1 or more controllers, but not equal to the total number of connected controllers"

* Total Controller count = Where AP Name x Related Node

if

AP Name = Down

And

Related Node count < Total Controller count

IF that condition above is met, then raise the alert "THIN AP leg down"

Hope I have provided you Thwack Brainiac's both a challenge,and something that can be achieved

• Not having a similar use case, but I figured I'd try out the thought experiment:

If 1 leg to the AP goes down, wouldn't the AP status still be up? So the out of the box alert really should still cover all three legs are down, the AP is down and trigger the alert, correct? Or is there some other break in connectivity there?

For the rest of it, groups is what comes to mind, but I don't know enough about what you're actually monitoring at the moment, so here goes:

I'm assuming that each leg is just the connecting interface that you're monitoring, or is there something else? If they are directly connected is there a common naming convention? How many APs are you working with? Because my first thought is to have groups, maybe with dynamic rules for the pattern on the interfaces and then the group status would be show best status. That way you could alert when the whole group is down, vs just one or two interfaces out of three. There's also alerts for group members having issues, or alert on the interface directly, assuming that my assumptions are anywhere close to the mark.

• Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Yes, technically speaking if a single leg went down then the AP will still be online.... There is no break in connectivity unless all legs on the device are down, however, with the out of the box alert it creates a lot of noise and does not know the difference between a "Full down" or "Leg Down".

As I understand, we monitor via the Wireless LAN Controllers, that have the Thin AP's connected underneath... From the above, the multiple controllers have the same devices connected (Mostly for redundancy).

We have a common naming convention that is across all devices, and is also replicated across the multiple controllers.

To give a bit more context again see this example:

Node Name: AP_TEST_01 

Controller: Controller_1 , Controller_2 , Controller_3

If a single leg goes on the device, we get the following alert (out-the-box)

AP_TEST_01 - Thin AP Down - Controller 1

However, when all 3 connections go it does this:

AP_TEST_01 - Thin AP Down - Controller 1

AP_TEST_01 - Thin AP Down - Controller 2

AP_TEST_01 - Thin AP Down - Controller 3

As mentioned, I just want to shorten the data to either show "Fully Down" or "Just a Leg"

Thanks again.