This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Orion.Engines.Pollers - What does this represent?

I've been doing a ton of clean-up and enhancements to our SolarWinds implementation here over the past year. Recently, I found a nice SolarWinds poller statistics display that I lightly modified for my use. I'm very happy with the display, but I'm a bit disturbed by what it is saying...

SW-poller-redacted.png

In the explanation of the panel the number attached to Orion.Engines.Pollers was tagged as the number of UNDP instances running on the system. I can in no way understand where the number 14927 for my primary poller is coming from. To say it is a "bit distressing" is an understatement! The fact that my primary poller shows this number of pollers of any kind against 400 nodes and 14k interfaces is also in stark contrast with my second poller that has 0 pollers with almost 1000 nodes and 8k interfaces.

Can anyone explain what Orion.Engines.Pollers is in fact counting? Could it be somehow corrupted? Should I just format and start over? (haha can't do that, but boy do I wish I could...)

And yes I know I'm running at 105% on my main poller. I have additional pollers budgeted for the upcoming fiscal year.

Thanks in advance,

-christopher

• Simple way to spot check would be to do something like

Select count(*) as undp from orion.npm.custompollerassignment

That query could be more elaborate but I'm using my phone and can't really test anything more fancy at the moment.

• That query yields the number '240' which seems much more reasonable.

This leaves me still wondering what exactly this number represents and why the primary poller has such a huge number while the additional poller shows 0. Either its not UNDP or my database is severely out of whack.

• Yeah I would go with the first option, its probably counting something else.  What exactly it is counting is the mystery.  My lab also has 0 for that number.  It's possible that it could also be counting something that was deprecated before your APE got installed? 

• I'm still trying to figure out what that number means, mostly because I'm kinda stubborn.

In the meantime, I've revised the display to count actual UnDP assignments against nodes (I don't have any running against interfaces). The numbers make sense now.

SW-poller-v2-redacted.png

Here's the updated SWQL query in case anybody's curious.

SELECT
        [OE].ServerName AS [ServerName]
        , [N].DetailsUrl AS [_LinkFor_ServerName]
        , '/NetPerfMon/images/Small-'+[N].StatusLED AS [_IconFor_ServerName]
        , [OE].ServerType AS [ServerType]
        , toString(Round([N].SystemUpTime/60/60/24,0))+' days' AS [Uptime]
        , CASE
            WHEN (MinuteDiff([OE].KeepAlive,GetUTCDate())<1) THEN 'Just Now'
            ELSE (toString(MinuteDiff([OE].KeepAlive, GetUTCDate()))+' min')
        END AS [LastCheck]
        , [OE].Elements AS [#Element]
        , [OE].Nodes AS [#Node]
        , [OE].Interfaces AS [#Intf]
        , [OE].Volumes AS [#Vol]
        , [UnDP].UnDP AS [#UnDP]
    --    , [OE].Pollers AS [Pollers?]
        , Replace([OE].WindowsVersion,'Windows Server ','Win') AS [ServerOS]
        , toString([N].CPULoad)+'%' AS [CPU]
        , toString([N].PercentMemoryUsed)+'%' AS [Mem]
        , Replace([OE].EngineVersion,'SolarWinds Orion Core Services ','SW') AS [EngineVer]
        , toString([PU].CurrentUsage)+'%' AS [Poll]
        , toString([OE].PollingCompletion)+'%' AS [Complete]
        , [EP].PropertyValue AS [Job Weight]

FROM Orion.Engines AS [OE]
        INNER JOIN Orion.EngineProperties AS [EP]
            ON ([OE].EngineID=[EP].EngineID AND [EP].PropertyName='Total Job Weight')
        INNER JOIN Orion.PollingUsage AS [PU]
            ON ([OE].EngineID=[PU].EngineID AND [PU].ScaleFactor='Orion.Standard.Polling')
    -- Use of LEFT JOIN so that we can show Engines even if we aren't monitoring them... but we should be monitoring them
        LEFT JOIN Orion.Nodes AS [N] ON [OE].IP=[N].IP_Address
        LEFT JOIN (
            SELECT [N0].EngineID, Count([N0].NodeID) AS [UnDP]
            FROM Orion.NPM.CustomPollerAssignment CP
                LEFT JOIN Orion.Nodes N0 ON CP.NodeID=N0.NodeID
            WHERE [N0].UnManaged=FALSE
            GROUP BY [N0].EngineID
        ) UnDP ON [UnDP].EngineID=[OE].EngineID

ORDER BY [OE].ServerType DESC, [N].Caption

• SolarWinds has confirmed that this field is obsolete and no longer updated. The value is currently meaningless.

Thanks everybody.