My anniversary is September 20, 2004.
Thwack's helped me get a lot more out of my Solarwinds products by being a place where I can:
- Ask questions
- Receive answers more quickly than provided by Solarwinds Support
- Search for topics, phrases, commands, solutions
- Download tools (pollers, reports, etc.) created by others and apply them to my environment
- Learn about changes to product lines
- Commiserate with my peers about problems my SW environment may be experiencing
- Help others overcome their challenges by providing timely answers to their questions
- Make suggestions to improve the product line
- Earn points that let me get some useful (and non-useful) swag
- Create a history of answers, questions, suggestions, and more that builds a reputation
- Compete with others for points and status based on participation in many different areas
- Submit white papers for review and sharing to make others' lives better
- Be exposed to industry experts and products with which I'm not familiar
- Learn best practices
- Avoid mistakes, or correct them
- Improve my team's ability to leverage the capabilities of SW products we own
- Test new products and recommend them for purchase (or not)
- Take a break from the stress of the day by researching some new technology topic. e.g.: Alternate Actuator: The Bacon Edition
- Let loose the muse: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/community/solarwinds-community/geek-speak/blog/2019/02/04/network-flowetry?sr=search&searc… or https://thwack.solarwinds.com/polls/2428?sr=search&searchId=89ba4fda-60a7-43df-b67c-67095a0a8890&searchIndex=2#comment-2…
- Be entertained by the creative and nerdy ideas of people who think differently / better than I in so many other areas!
- See how a product forum SHOULD be run.
THWACK has done so many things for me as a person and a professional, it's difficult to describe how thankful I am.
- Never have to buy shirts, socks, or polos ever again
- I've overcome my horrible presentation anxiety by speaking at SWUGs
- THWACK has pushed me to learn new things like Powershell and APIs, far from the route/switch work I normally do
- Found a sense of community that is so rare, and I cherish it
- Also found hundreds of answers to questions that would otherwise be mysteries
- There's something amazing about seeing your feedback make it into a product
- It's rewarding when you're able to help someone who is in the same shoes you were wearing a few years ago
- I've had the privilege of making many friends and I'll never forget the time we spend together at Solarwinds/THWACK events
- I never would have tried limoncello because I hate lemon flavoring, yet here we are
We're glad to have you hear, you bring a lot to the community.
I agree that Thwack is a true community. When I first joined Thwack I was not expecting a lot. Pretty much every IT community that I have been a part if makes great promises, but in the end provides a stale, non-active little more than FAQ list, lethargic website. Thwack has many active people ready and willing the help and take on others challenges. I've found it fun to be a part of Thwack and both give an take from the community.