This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can we get the report of space used of guest VMs from Vcenter?

Hi All,

We have one requirement wherein customer wants to know the space used, allocated and available of all the guest VMs.. We do have ESX's added in monitoring but ran into an issue of more sockets being used and license procured is less..

Customer doesnt want to pay extra(for VMAN upgrade cost) but still need the requirement i mentioned above from SolarWinds... We have 15 hosts added, off which 5 are in Basic polling under VMAN and rest are with VMAN polling.

So any possibility of meeting the requirement if i add the Vcenter? OR

alternate method available to test so that i can get all guest VMs data...

Report should be something like this:

pastedImage_1.png

• Nodes being polled via basic polling will not be storing disk space metrics, those are features of vman so if you do build the custom report it will be missing the data from the unlicensed systems. 

If you happen to have an unlimited license in SAM you could try to pull in the vcenter performance counters from there, but its an EXTREMELY manual process.  You would have to create a component one by one for each metric you try to collect on each vm.  That feature made more sense in the old days before VMAN was available and most people don't really use it much at all anymore.

• Thanks for the details.. component method also wont work for me as the number of guest VMs are too many...

Will try to somehow convince customer to upgrade VMAN in order to meet the requirement.

• I was wondering about this myself recently (about VMAN).

Currently, we have Storage Manager (or whatever its called nowadays) and we get daily and weekly reports that shows current usages and predicted capacity.

So, Pratik: Look into the Storage Manager product, I believe this would get you the reports you are wanting.

• Update: I missed the part of your post about your customer. I would still pitch it to them and see if it is something they wanted to budget for.

• we actually convinced them for upgrading VMAN licenses.... SRM would not fit in current environment so cant pitch that... thanks for the note...