This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Orion SDK - vender support anytime soon?

Is the API ever going to be officially supported? My company is considering moving on from solarwinds and this factor is a large reason for that. I know this has been asked quite a bit over the years but haven’t heard any new information in long time. anyone know the road map or ?

• In what capacity specifically is the Orion SDK lacking support? While the option of telephone support is not available, SolarWinds developers provide prompt, thorough, and curious support to SDK users every day through the Thwack forum and GitHub communities. This extends beyond just customers, but also developers and other software companies looking to build tight integrations into the Orion Platform.

If there are bugs or defects that you've identified in the Orion SDK or API, we track and address those when they are raised through these very same mechanisms. Have a feature request for the Orion SDK? These too are logged and tracked also from these sources.

In these respects, the Orion SDK is better supported than the product itself! You get the opportunity to instantaneously interact directly with many of the absolute best and brightest engineers here at SolarWinds. No need to sit on hold, no need to wait for your case to go through the normal chain of escalation. Just post your question or problem, and boom, you receive a response from an authority on all things related to the Orion SDK.

• I certainly understand your points. But there are many instances where this is not ideal. Depending on thwack forums and github community is great for ideas and code sharing, but not for support. For instance I have been working an issue on this forum for 3 days now. There is no error with the code as it works on other SW instances we have, Technical support will not assist. I am left with hoping I stumble across the issue with the advice of forum users. Over the years this has occurred many many times, with quite a few instances were the vendor introduced issues with the SDK.

This is not a knock on thwack. I see no reason why SW can't fully support the Orion SDK. 8 years ago when I started writing integrations with SDK it was clear on why it wasn't supported. The SDK has matured quite a bit since then. 

We are one of the largest customers SW have, and my management is starting to get annoyed that they do not support the API.

• What it sounds like is that there has either been a change in the behavior of the API, intentional or unintentional which has changed the behavior of your script. That could be a bug, which is a perfectly valid concern. Have you isolated the issue in your script and have you shared the result of your findings here on Thwack that you can reference? I'm certain that we can get to a resolution with additional details. For example, under which version(s) does this work, and which versions does it not? Have you posted the isolated code snip-it calling the specific function that is working in some versions but not others?

• This isn't a cry for help with my current issue. I am simply making the point that Solarwinds needs to start officially supporting the API. We were told a few years back that it was on the roadmap.

The forums is really great so it has nothing to do with my post.

• The volley of questions and responses, as well as the timeliness of those responses,  appear to be very much in line with what I would expect from any normal non-urgent support case. I would imagine that dan jagnow is one of our absolute best Orion SDK experts, and I'm certain he will get to the bottom of the issue one way or another. If he's unable to reproduce the problem, the logs you've provided will likely give him some idea of the next steps to pursue. You are several versions behind, so I would recommend upgrading at your next available opportunity. If nothing else, install an evaluation on a separate machine to verify the issue does not occur there.