This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Hardware requirement planning for SAM

Hi Team,

I am new to Solarwinds products and we have requirement to implement SAM for our customer...While checking hardware requirement to build SAM server which can monitor 1000 nodes, i didn't find any details.Please let me know where i will get hardware requirement for SAM server capable of managing 1000 nodes.

One more thing, as per planning we will go for SNMP based discovery but on few occassions i.e. monitoring web server,vcenter i believe SNMP will not serve the purpose.Hence please let me know what all pre-requisites in terms of service accounts,access are required to setup app level monitoring.

Thanks

Suman

• Hi Suman,

Everything you need is on this page: SAM 6.9.1 System Requirements

When you want to monitor Windows OS Servers you might need to use WMI or agents instead of relying on SNMP.

For monitoring your vCenter you'll need to have a valid user + pw (credentials) to get information from it via VMware's API, see Monitor your virtual infrastructure in SAM

Best regards,

Steffen

• Hi Steffen,

Thanks for your response.

I have gone through the system requirement link but found that hardware details are only provided for environment having max. 300 devices(i.e. SAM300).If we have to plan hardware for 1000 devices, please let me know how to calculate that.We also need to know if we have to add additional polling engine for this.

Thanks

Suman

• Good morning.

Check your Orion (main polling engine) status to see the polling rate utilisation:  Settings ->  All Settings -> Details -> Polling Engines

Alternatively: All Settings -> My Orion Deployment

Anything more than 80% then I would start using an additional polling engine - which come complementary with the new node based SAM licensing (but can only be used for SAM). Hardware requirements are low for such polling engines as well. SolarWinds recommendation  4-core processor or better and 16 GB memory (from Scalability Engine Guidelines for SolarWinds products  )

• Hi Steffen,

Thanks again for your response.

Yes i understand that we can check polling rate utilization from Orion console and plan for APEs but that we will only get to know when we are done with installation of orion server and start collecting data.Here my concern is we have to give some hardware estimate(no. of servers and specs on each server) to customer for monitoring 1000 servers and that is prior to impementation.Thats why we need some estimate in terms of server count and specs including main orion server and database server which will be capable of monitoring 1000 servers. Please consider we are going to monitor OS parameters and application services on all the servers.

Thanks

Suman

• serena​ would you have an estimate what a SAM1k would require? My best guess is 1 Orion + 2 APE hardware, so 12 cpu cores and 64gb ram

• steffen.gutzeit  wrote:

serena  would you have an estimate what a SAM1k would require? My best guess is 1 Orion + 2 APE hardware, so 12 cpu cores and 64gb ram

Hi Steffen,

It really rather depends on how much monitoring you're planning on doing with components for the 1000 nodes. Do you happen to know the component count?

• Hi Serena,

We are going for node based licensing and just want to monitor all the required components on the devices.We have around 1500 servers and 500 network devices.Please let us know how much hardware is required for app server,DB and APE(if required).

Thanks

Suman

• smandal027  wrote:

Hi Serena,

We are going for node based licensing and just want to monitor all the required components on the devices.We have around 1500 servers and 500 network devices.Please let us know how much hardware is required for app server,DB and APE(if required).

Thanks

Suman

Hi Suman, I'd recommend that you follow the guidelines for

Multi-module system guidelines for the Orion Platform

While you're going to node based licensing and that will simplify licensing, the scale metric for deployments is based on component count still.