2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2019 7:38 AM by stuartd

Reporting Logic

stuartd

I am wringing out what's left of my few brain cells and just not getting the logic in report creation. I'm trying to create what Ithink is (or should be) a simple query.

What I'm trying to do is: Only query a specifc custom property called "client" and then do a sub query within that for all the nodes that have a custom property assigned that are either: 'Prioity 2' or 'Priority 3'.  My first efforts produced a report with all nodes but it refused to show just the P2 and P3's and instead showd all of them whatver their 'P' level. I ended up resorting to creating a report just for the P2 devcies and a second one just for the P3 devices (which introduced a 2nd issue - see further down).

So, can I not do this? The logic I tried to apply was:

All conditions (AND)

Client is equal to: ABC

AND

priority is equal to:  P2

OR

priority is equal to: P3

Secondary Issue: so all this messing with reports showed up a second anomaly in that none of the P3 devices, even in a standalone report (a duplicate of the P2 with just the P changed), would show up. Yet if I go into the custom property editor, select the relevant client I can see all teh devices including the P3's. I even tried editing the report to say all devices beginning with a common set of letters across the board (they are all routers, and are all from the same provider, and we do have SNMP RO access to them) - but the report is still blank.

Help, please.

• Re: Reporting Logic
          jrouviere

It would be helpful to have the query you're using, but one thing I'm guessing at (and have used myself) from your proposed logic is:

All conditions (AND)

Client is equal to: ABC

AND (

priority is equal to:  P2

OR

priority is equal to: P3

)

Basically you want your OR logic to be contained in parentheses. The logic you provided would be two different groups and return everything: 1) Client ABC nodes that are priority 2. 2) Any P3 nodes.

What you want is any P2 or P3 nodes from client ABC so you need to put the OR into a parentheses so it would be 1) Client ABC nodes that are P2. 2) Client ABC nodes that are P3.

As for why the P3 nodes shouldn't be returning at all, my guess would be to check the client custom properties are what you'd expect or knowing more about what you're exactly trying to get out of them as the data would presumably not be there (though it looks like you tried to account for that).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: Reporting Logic
              stuartd

Thank you.

As it happens, between asking that question and seeing your reply I have now been on an 'intro to SOLW' course and alerting / reporting logic was one key query I was looking to get answered, I didn't share the query due to confidentiality reasons but you managed to work out what I was after so, thank you. Then of course I thought, well I could just blank the 'private' sections so:

Essentially I needed to think of the logic as being like BODMAS or PEDMAS where brackets are always done first so my query needed to read:

ALL Below conditions are met (AND)

Condition 1 - Client is = ABC

AND

Condition 2 has to be one of the following (AND & OR)

AND it is defined as a P2 priority

OR

AND it is defined as a P3 priority

Or to include the brackets:

[ Client = ABC + [ Priority = P2 OR P3 ] ]