This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Any experience with Cloudflare DNS for HA?

So I'm tasked with setting up HA for our installation, but I seem to be a little out of my depth. The situation is this:

We have an Azure server as Main Poller in Amsterdam and an Amazon server in Frankfurt as Standby, so we're talking about multiple Subnet. Our domain is set up in Cloudflare. We also have 7 ROP's that don't need to be highly available.

As I understand from the documentation when a fail-over occurs, the HA service will update the DNS entries directly to switch traffic to the Standby. I've spoken to someone in our IT department about this who said this can't be automated with commands in our case as we do not control the DNS server ourselves.

When setting up the HA pool and selecting DNS type "Other", which I understand is the choice in our case a warning box appears:

pastedImage_0.png

It appears as if the link in this box could help me perhaps, but it leads to the old knowledge-base site, so doesn't work anymore and I can't seem to find it on the new one.

So if anyone knows if it is actually possible with Cloudflare and preferably knows how, please let me know!

• So the "other" option basically means you have to come up with your own method of updating the DNS record since there is no built in way to handle it.

You may not directly manage the DNS server in this case, but I can assure you that if your IT team reaches out to them there is some method they would use to automatically send in a request and to initiate a change on their end.  In most cases you would cook up an alert action to launch a script to get them started on the change you need.  The worst case scenario being that you have to email a request to them. But obviously something like that would make failovers extremely slow as you'd be waiting for them to get around to it.

• mesverrum is correct. Since Cloudflare doesn't appear to support TSIG, you will need to configure and alert action to trigger a script to update the IP address of the DNS name used to access the Orion web interface. The good news is that it looks like most of the work has already been done for you already.

Update CloudFlare as Dynamic DNS (DDNS) - Tech Journey

You also have the option of not using DNS at all, and instead, front-ending the Orion web interface with a load balancer.

• Thank you guys for the replies, btw. I will update once we've implemented our final solution. At this moment there's still a lot of debate on what shape it will take. There is talk about restructuring our entire environment again, so it will take a while emoticons_happy.png