3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2019 1:25 PM by aLTeReGo

IIS Application Initialization

paget76

Hi All,

I've been trying to get the Application Initialization working for the SolarWinds Orion server, as it is painfully slow loading in the morning (up to 10 minutes sometimes). I've tried to follow the instructions in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/get-started/whats-new-in-iis-8/iis-80-application-initialization, but don't seem to be seeing any improvements. I've attached the two amended files - is anyone able to assist? Also, there seem to be dozens of web.config files - I amended the one under \InetPub\SolarWinds\, but not sure if that is right.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Thanks,

Richard

• Re: IIS Application Initialization
          serena

paget76  wrote:

Hi All,

I've been trying to get the Application Initialization working for the SolarWinds Orion server, as it is painfully slow loading in the morning (up to 10 minutes sometimes). I've tried to follow the instructions in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/get-started/whats-new-in-iis-8/iis-80-application-initialization, but don't seem to be seeing any improvements. I've attached the two amended files - is anyone able to assist? Also, there seem to be dozens of web.config files - I amended the one under \InetPub\SolarWinds\, but not sure if that is right.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Thanks,

Richard

Richard, did you end up getting this working?

paget76

No, unfortunately! In fact, the Application Initialization seems to have made things worse…

aLTeReGo

Generally, the issue is that the AppPool is spinning down due to lack of use. This is a resource conservation feature that's native to IIS that works great when hosting dozens, or even hundreds of different sites on the same server and need to be conservative with resource usage. In a situation where Orion may be the only application served through IIS, having AppPools spin down when not in use, and then back up again when needed, could be a pain when trying to first access the Orion web interface first thing in the morning. Fortunately, this can be disabled in IIS so the AppPool shuts down less often or not at all.

enter image description here

Note I generally only recommend never recycling the AppPool on Additional Web Servers. If you only have a main Orion server, then I typically set the AppPool to timeout after 36 hours. That usually ensures that the AppPool recycles only on weekends.

1 of 1 people found this helpful