1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 3, 2019 4:31 AM by bjoern-cusatum

Randomly generating password in the password reset form?

cmcintosh_1988

So new to the forum so if this has been answered / asked then apologies I have looked through and cant see anything.

So when using the the Web UI (Cockpit) to reset a users password the default is to enter a 'user' created password, unfortunately this has led to some of the less security conscious people, setting passwords like Welcome123.

Is there a way of having this field create a random password or at is there a way I can add a button that creates a random password. if I new what files I needed to edit to change the web pages I'd happily make the changes myself.

Also the available actions for the scripts do no include password reset but Alerts do, we use an SMS system to text our password out to users and it would be good if we were able to script that in the event of a password change ARM automatically send the new password to the end users mobile number. (I have the script just need help triggering it and understanding what the variable is to pass the new password over to the script.)

• Re: Randomly generating password in the password reset form?
          bjoern-cusatum

Hi,

there is no way that a password can be randomly generated at the moment.

But that's not the basic idea behind the password reset feature: your helpdesk should reset the password and leave the checkmark for the option that the user has to change his password when logging in the next time. Then he tells the user password.

If you want to use your SMS system, then you should use OpenTemplate and "order" a new password instead of using the built-in password reset.

The template would basically only be a user selection as the only field. When ordering a new password for this user, his username would be forwarded to a PowerShell script which is triggered by the order process. This PowerShell script creates a random password, sets this as the new password for the selected user and then sends the text message to the user.

Cheers

Björn

1 of 1 people found this helpful