3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2019 8:12 AM by mandevil

DPA monitoring of single database on shared instance

aiglee.castillo

We want to monitor a client of ours with DPA but they have a very particular architecture. They have a single DB instance with multiple databases, and we only own one of the databases. We would need DPA to be able to monitor that one DB and only that DB without being able to touch the other DBs in the same instance for the client to agree to the monitoring. Could this be done?

I found this article Success Center,  but it would allow us to change DPA to access other DBs if we wanted. I think they would be looking for something like setting up all permissions for DPA and we use those specific users in DPA so they feel confident we can't see other DBs.

On the same vein, does DPA need access to read the master DB? That could also cause us issues trying to get the permissions approved.

Thank you

• Re: DPA monitoring of single database on shared instance
          fabian.s

aiglee.castillo  wrote:

We want to monitor a client of ours with DPA but they have a very particular architecture. They have a single DB instance with multiple databases, and we only own one of the databases. We would need DPA to be able to monitor that one DB and only that DB without being able to touch the other DBs in the same instance for the client to agree to the monitoring. Could this be done?

I found this article Success Center,  but it would allow us to change DPA to access other DBs if we wanted. I think they would be looking for something like setting up all permissions for DPA and we use those specific users in DPA so they feel confident we can't see other DBs.

On the same vein, does DPA need access to read the master DB? That could also cause us issues trying to get the permissions approved.

Thank you

I'm not the expert but from my experience I don't think it is possible to restrict the access as you want.

Also if you have a look on the article "SQL Server permissions for DPA monitoring" Success Center then there are a couple of required privileges on MS SQL instance level.

regards

• Re: DPA monitoring of single database on shared instance
            mandevil

You might want to try adjusting the quickpoll_where_clause per the article link:  Success Center

You can limit the quickpoll to just grab wait data for one database. Keep permissions the same though as DPA will need access to DMVs still.

All charts and other polls are driven by the QP, so limiting at that granular of a level should produce the results you are looking for.

HTH!