This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Advice - how best to make REST API calls when an agent is involved

I am attempting to put a SAM monitor together for Tenable.sc.

For monitoring the large amount of servers involved, it was decided to monitor SC server properly, and all the severs the SC manages (Nessus scanners, et)c with just a ping check.    The SC server API will be used to pull status on everything else. (since SC is managing it all already)

The standard image for the SC server has no SNMP (it is a bit locked down) so I used a Solarwinds Agent to monitor that.  I have some nice powershell to pull the API stats down with - but with the SC server being monitored by agents, it is not possible to use powershell (or another script) to call the stats from the Orion server. 

I have played with the Preferred Polling Method, remote/local settings to no avail (I didn't expect them to of course).

Is there ANY way people know to run a script on the Orion server while i use an agent?

So far my (sucky) solutions are: 1 - remove the agent and revert to ICMP monitor of the SC server  (ie not really monitor the SC)

2 - attach the script to an unrelated server (confusing) or dummy server (I would need to hard code the SC server address, etc)

I would be interested in trying out the new web service monitor that is in BETA but...  well still in beta.

I also have no time to work this out, of course ;-)

• The answer for me on this one, was to recall that the Agent can be assigned to any of the IP addresses the device has configured (sometimes it picks the wrong IP...)

So either add another IP, leaving the 'real' IP available to assign the monitor to, or in this case change the Agent to use the IP6 address that already existed (which is not really used given te AGent is in 'call Orion server' mode) so I can add the node again as its other address.

• I know you've got a solution that works for you, but just to clarify, on the application assignment itself, if you go into advanced settings and changed the preferred polling method to Agentless it wasn't running the script from Orion against the remote machine?

pastedImage_0.png

• Yes and that made no difference.