This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Looking for missing SNMP locations

I would like a report that would give me a list of all the nodes being monitored that do not have SNMP location filled out.  My OS team is not very good at filling this out and I need to show them.  I have the following products in use:Orion Platform 2019.2, IPAM 4.9.0, SRM 6.9.0, NCM 8.0, NPM 12.5, SAM 6.9.0, and NetPath 1.1.5

• You can make something like this as a Custom Query Resource that you can then embed on a dashboard

SELECT
    n.Caption AS [DEVICE]    -- Device Name
    ,n.DetailsUrl AS [_LinkFor_DEVICE]    -- Create a hyperlink to take you to the node details page
    ,n.IPAddress AS [IP ADDRESS]    -- Device Polling IP
    FROM Orion.Nodes AS [n]    -- We're querying the Orion.Nodes entity, and aliasing it as 'n'
    WHERE n.ObjectSubType = 'SNMP'    -- Only return nodes polled via SNMP
    AND n.Location = ''    -- Only return nodes with an empty SNMP Location field
    -- You can uncomment the next line and use it as to enable the Search option for the resource
    -- AND ( n.Caption LIKE '%${SEARCH_STRING}%' OR n.IPAddress LIKE '%${SEARCH_STRING}%' )

Schema Reference: Orion.Nodes | Orion SDK Schemas

• So I created a report using your search.  I did not get back nearly as much as I thought I should.  What if I wanted it to run against all nodes and not just those polled by SNMP?  What would the WHERE change to?

Thank you for the help.

• Change lines 6 & 7 to the following:

WHERE n.Location = '' -- Only return nodes with an empty SNMP Location field

• Worth pointing out that WMI based nodes automatically get this value from their AD Site name, so if this isn't being populated it means you are talking about Windows boxes using SNMP or linux machines.  Windows SNMP settings can be controlled via GPO so they don't have to muck around logging into servers and Linux has a sea of configuration management platforms (you could even use NCM to set them if you were feeling fancy).

Point being, if people aren't remembering to set these things then they have many options to have it automatically done.

• So that gave me a much bigger list.  Thank you.  I need to talk with the admins about these boxes.

• I am no Windows admin.  I don't think they are using WMI, but I don't know. 

We am not managing any Linux with NCM.  Only network gear is in NCM.

What about ESXi?

• ESXI hosts have a thing called Host Profiles that should be able to handle this kind of stuff, but I could believe that if the hosts are in many locations but all locations use the same template they wouldn't put that into the profile.