This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to monitor a server which is in work group, not in domain

We are having NPM 12.2 & SAM 6.6.

We have a requirement to monitor a server with all resources like CPU, RAM, Disks, etc. The server is not in domain and is in a work group.

How to monitor a server which is in work group?

aLTeReGo

• Really no different than any other server. You can monitor that machine via WMI, SNMP, or the Agent. Note however, that if you monitor the node via WMI you will probably need to ensure you specify the machine name or period in the username to inherit the machine name. E.G. '.\Administrator' or 'machinename\administrator'.

• You will have to create a local admin account on the server and add it to Solarwinds for Monitoring.  I have quite a few web servers and other types of servers that are not domain joined that have separate accounts or I have created an account that is used to add to servers to Solarwinds that are off domain.  Does that help at all?  emoticons_wink.png

• Hi, thank you for the update.

For the servers in Domain, we ask them to add the solarwinds service account to be part of the Administrators group on the server. Then we are monitoring everything.

I will try with local account, as suggested and see if that works.

• Hi,

Thank you for the details. In that case, if we will have 100 servers to be monitored, which are not in domain, do we need to add all the local admin accounts in Solarwinds and then only we would be able to monitor? Or do we need to ask them to create a local admin account and can we use as .\<LocalAdminAccount>

• Hi aLTeReGo​, martian monster​,

We have created a local admin account as svc.solarwindswg on one server and tried to use in two ways. But no luck.

.\svc.solarwindswg and ServerName\svc.solarwindswg

In both ways WMI test failed. What else could be the problem.

• It may not be a permissions issue, but rather a connectivity issue. Ensure that there are no firewalls or access control lists open between the two hosts. For troubleshooting WMI issues, I find it easier to test with a desktop tool and eliminate Orion entirely from the mix. For that you could use WBEMTEST, but I don't particularly care for the UI. Instead I typically use WMIExplorer.

I monitor mostly workgroup machines in my lab, but also machines in the domain. If you're finding login errors in the Event Log, then you may need to specify the machine name in your credentials. E.G. machinename\username. You can also try username@machinename. If neither the Orion server or the machine being monitored are in a domain, then should be able to simply get away with the username alone.

Alternatively, to avoid this confusion entirely you could also just deploy an Agent to that machine.

• try disabling UAC in registry for 1 server and see if that works...

• If you have that many servers I would suggest you ask your Server team to create a common local administrator account/password on all of them which you can then use within SolarWinds.

• Hi David,

Server team is ready to do that way only. But, our testing was not successful, in either ways i.e. .\domain-id or machineName\domain-id. Struck here and could not move further.

Thank you.

• My lab server is able to monitor non-domain servers. If you navigate to Settings > All Settings > Manage Windows Credentials

In the Username field, I simply put the username as: Administrator (As that is what I use in my lab) and the password.

pastedImage_2.png

Give this a try and see if it works. Also is your Orion server in a domain or workgroup?