This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NCM connection profile and remote login from Poller failures

I have come across an odd issue that I have yet to see before and wanted to see if anyone has ever seen this type of issue before. I am trying to get the connection profile working for some remote switches, however the test fails. I can connect without issue while using Putty or CRT. If I attempt to use Putty from the poller using the correct credentials it causes the switch to hang and needs to be rebooted locally. I have seen this with multiple switches at this location. There is nothing blocking the connection. I have even had  switch hang when I just tested the profile connection under NCM properties of the node. Just seems like very strange stuff on why attempting a remote login through either the poller or the web interface causes this to happen yet I can get into the switch just fine outside of this. Maybe its an error in the version I am running of NCM (7.8) Any ideas???

• Are you able to access the switches from any locations or is it only when you use PuTTY from poller that you see the issue?

• Please make sure that your poller and web are allowed to VTY into the device. If you have an ACL you can easily see it in the logs.  enter the command 'term mon' from the global exec prompt. This is needed to view the console messages on VTY connection. Also make sure the connection profile is using the right username and password. It could be freezing because its trying to do a command and that command is not correct. Make sure that no ip domain lookup is on the switch.

• you could turn on session tracing and see if it gives you anymore insight on why it is failing.

Success Center - Session Trace   

• I can access the switches via ssh from other locations on other routers/switches. Seems to only be when I test the connection from the solarwinds server PuTTY connection or when I test it via connection profile under the node properties is when I see the issue. I can understand if a connection fails but it just seems odd it would cause a switch to reboot. username/passwords are correct. No ACLs in place as mentioned by mjalden1 as well. I may have to try the session trace they are suggesting.

• Is there any update on the issue?

Are all the switches that hang the same type and same IOS?