This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SEM can support GPT format?

Hi Team,

I'm new to SEM here, have some question i would like check with all the experts here. Currently my site would like to increase SEM stroage from 1TB to 10TB, as per checking with VM team. SEM currently format is MBR and if we want to expand up to 10TB need to change the format to GPT. Did GPT is supported for LEM? Sorry about my poor english emoticons_sad.png desperate need for help.

9ff663df-76e5-449a-8c83-586857a499b2.jpg

• Hi, Khai.

Yes, LEM/SEM 6.4 and later will support the GPT format and partitions of 2 TB and greater. The only sidenote is that your SEM has to have been deployed as 6.4 or later. If you have an SEM that was deployed prior to 6.4 and since upgraded, it will still be stuck on the old MBR format. That's not something that can easily change with an upgrade - so a recent deployment is required.

• Hi Jdee,

Thanks for replying my message, i still have some concerns here. My SEM currently is version 6.6. Let say we go for upgrade our old format from MBR to GPT increase size from 1TB MBR to 10TB GPT it will have some issue right? so a recent deploment is required <-- means we have to deployment a new SEM then give up the old one?

Thanks

• Have you confirmed your current SEM is using MBR? Do you know what version you first deployed on?

A quick check you can do is go into Edit Settings on your virtual appliance in your VMware vCenter or Hyper-V Manager and see how many hard disks your SEM has. If it has Hard Disk 1 and Hard Disk 2, you're safe. If you only have Hard Disk 1, then that means it was deployed prior to 6.4 and you're looking at a redeployment to expand beyond 2 TB.

Thanks,

Jason