29 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2019 11:54 AM by mikeit83

Recent Solarwinds Updates

bourlis

I haven't seen any posts yet on the recent Orion updates.  Who's updated to NPM 12.5, SAM 6.9 & etc?  Any issues or has it been smooth sailing so far?

I'm in the camp of not being able to install updates right and having to wait to see if there are any issues or bugs.  So far this appears to be a good solid update. I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger, but I just need to know what the community has to say first.

Here's what I'm looking to go to.

• NPM 12.5
      • SAM 6.9
      • UDT 3.4.0
      • VNQM 4.6.0
      • NCM 8.0
      • NTA 4.6
      • WPM 3.0
        • Re: Recent Solarwinds Updates
          sander franken

We recently updated to NPM 12.5. Been good so far, liking the new features. We mostly do ICMP monitoring, so we don't go very deep into the SolarWinds rabbithole.

jeremy-genus

We've been hit with an issue whereby numerous agents get stuck in 'update in progress' status. Support has confirmed that it's a bug in the new 12.5 release. It appears though that the systems whose agents won't update retain monitoring functionality, even though they may be on the wrong version.

I'd normally be cautious about installing a new version on the day of release, but we'd been suffering from a far worse bug in the previous version whereby the IIS worker process leaked memory, consumed 100% CPU and crashed our web console every 4 days or so. So far, it's looking hopeful that this issue has been resolved.

Since we purchased SolarWinds at the start of the year, it seems that we've been in a constant cycle of upgrading to resolve one bug, only for a new one to be introduced. I'm hoping the software is going though a bad patch at the moment, but I have to wonder about the product quality and level of QA resource. We've opened 18 support cases since January, the vast majority being related to bugs, which has led me to regret my product choice. Perhaps we've been unlucky, but I wish we'd chosen a vendor who was able to better balance stability versus speed of introduction of new features.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                bourlis

Jeremy,

Sadly I would have to agree with you, every time a new software version comes out I'm excited to see what's new and I can't wait to try it out..... But then reality sets in, an I'm filled with dread to see what new bugs come with it and I hate doing all the tests to validate if everything is still working.

I don't think luck has much to do with it, I feel as though it's the status quo these days.  I use to be one of the first people to update my Solarwinds installation, but now I wait a couple of months for the the inevitable hot fixes.  Unfortunately, I need to update SW to take advantage of some of the updates to resolve some outstanding issues. 

Right now, I feel like I need to wade the odds before I gamble on the latest updates.

bps

had some issues during update, after trying a second/third time it went smoothly .... now looks good, took me about 4h

- NCM, NPM, LA, IPAM, NTA

- migration from syslog/trap Alert's to LA is a pain in the a... need do export the rules out of the existing DB and redo every alert again...

- anything else like good on my end...

regards Pascal

acandell

I upgraded to WPM 3.0 but they have removed the image verification feature. Please keep this in mind. I have support cases open, they have told me to use the old deprecated recorder for image verification but I cannot monitor it/set alerts.

pgaryga

Had an issue with IPAM 4.9.0 subnets not listing: IPAM 4.9.0 - Subnet Stuck Loading 

mikeit83

We upgraded to latest greatest as of 6/10/2019. 

Be aware that the .net framework needs to be at 4.7.2 (its in the release notes).   I believe the upgrade process tries to install it, but requires a reboot-  and must have access to the internet (for whatever reason).   Not all of our orion servers have access to solarwinds, so the centralized upgrade process failed spectacularly.

I ended up having to setup proxy settings on each server, manually installing .net 4.7.2 and then kicking off the additional poller installs manually. The Additional Web Server actually did the centralized upgrade fine- but the menu bar's at the top were blank-  had to rebuild IIS.   Worked great after that.

We have been very stable on the new release with no known defects that are giving us grief.   Yes, we saw the agent upgrade process get stuck- but we are used to that as we are always struggling with DMZ's and firewall rules.  (445 isnt open so we have to package the new agent and push it out...no biggie).

Performance has greatly improved.   I usually am on top of bad things that start degrading performance.  I had the old release pretty finely tuned.   New one gave us tons of CPU cycles on Main poller, APE, and SQL server back.    Very happy with that. 

And I LOVE the new logging filtering process.   Very well done.

meyer837

This is good to know, we don't allow internet access for any of our servers. Should I install .NET 4.7.2 separately when I upgrade? I may stick with 12.4 for a while longer. I should note, in the past I have always used the offline installers just fine.

reylas

mikeit83  wrote:

We upgraded to latest greatest as of 6/10/2019. 

Be aware that the .net framework needs to be at 4.7.2 (its in the release notes).   I believe the upgrade process tries to install it, but requires a reboot-  and must have access to the internet (for whatever reason).   Not all of our orion servers have access to solarwinds, so the centralized upgrade process failed spectacularly.

I ended up having to setup proxy settings on each server, manually installing .net 4.7.2 and then kicking off the additional poller installs manually. The Additional Web Server actually did the centralized upgrade fine- but the menu bar's at the top were blank-  had to rebuild IIS.   Worked great after that.

We have been very stable on the new release with no known defects that are giving us grief.   Yes, we saw the agent upgrade process get stuck- but we are used to that as we are always struggling with DMZ's and firewall rules.  (445 isnt open so we have to package the new agent and push it out...no biggie).

Performance has greatly improved.   I usually am on top of bad things that start degrading performance.  I had the old release pretty finely tuned.   New one gave us tons of CPU cycles on Main poller, APE, and SQL server back.    Very happy with that. 

And I LOVE the new logging filtering process.   Very well done.

Can you elaborate on what you did when you said "The Additional Web Server actually did the centralized upgrade fine- but the menu bar's at the top were blank-  had to rebuild IIS.   Worked great after that.".   We are currently suffering with the same issue.  Our Additional Web Server is not showing our menus.   Support is currently stumped as well.

Thanks

ebradford

Hi bourlis. We upgraded to 12.5 RC2. The upgrade ran fairly smoothly so far as Solarwinds' install went. There were some environmental issues here which delayed the install. One of which was difficulty installing the latest version of.Net on two of our servers. I recommend that you make certain all your polling engines are on the same version of OS updates, and that .Net is updated on all pollers prior to attempting the install. Sure, Orion Install will install .Net for you if not updated, but since there were issues with that on our devices, I suggest installing and resolving first.

Another issue we had was a slow WAN connection. I found it much faster to download the off-line installer and run the remote site installer offline, rather than automated.

I entered additional notes here:
                            Orion Platform 2019.2 - Install/Upgrade Improvements Part 1

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

martian monster

I always wait a month for everyone else to figure out the bugs.

damien.solodow

Been running it since the RC1 release; the issues we had are fixed in the GA.

Rather liked the new upgrade from web console.

liammiller

So far so good, im in the middle of a migration, we've got the 12.5 box in place with a few nodes from the estate in and so far fingers crossed I haven't seen any punishment for being an early adopter like I did back with 12.3. But only time can tell when we start to load it up! I'll post an update perhaps in a couple weeks if you like with any extra findings.

MathieuJM

We have upgraded last week and unfortunatly we ran into some issue:

- a known issue about TFTPServer (i can't upgrade one of our APE due to the TFTPServer service that wont't start)

- many widgets are no more available to be added to the web site or to the report

- we still have issue with agent discovery

Hopefully this upgrade has seems to fixed some HA issue.

Next time we won't probably upgrade before a month or more.

ayersza

We upgraded yesterday and it has not gone smoothly. Still in the process of working out kinks, HA seems to be an issue for us. Not sure if it's unique to us or not.

bourlis

Thank you everyone.  It sounds like the most common issue everyone experienced was the updating agent issue, which we experienced when we upgraded to the previous build.

Based on everyone's reply, we're going to move forward and upgrade next Tuesday.

Our systems can access the internet, so i'm going to take heed and preemptively update to .Net ver 4.8 manually before I update Solarwinds.

tmumaugh

I apparently didn't wait long enough. Updated yesterday on our Server 2019 box and the whole thing blew up spectacularly! Website was down but as far as I could tell information was still being gathered and put in the database and alerts were working though. Still pretty worthless if I can't get in to actually look at any of the data or manage any nodes. Was on the phone with support yesterday and reinstalled several times before I was given the answer that IIS or .NET was the corrupt or causing the problem. Spent today reinstalling IIS and .NET to no avail. Ended up blowing away the whole OS and reinstalling from scratch. That fixed it. The initial configuration screen still showed website errors, but the website itself came back up and was working. I feel like there might still be issues with 2019 support.

Either way I'm finally back up and running today, but not real happy with the 30ish hours of downtime.

ebradford

I wonder tmumaugh, since many people have run the upgrade without issue (including yours truly), do you think there would have been a different outcome if you waited another month?

I'm guessing that the result would have been the same next month as this week, and last month.

mikeit83

I agree with that- actually.    I suspect this one had some added challenges with the .net 4.7.2 requirements.   As long as you pre-flight that one, Im not sure there are any show stoppers.

I am not sure if this was "the" update that Solarwinds was talking about fixing some performance issues or not, but I am very very happy so far with the performance and stability.       We are on day 9 and I have had to only adjust one APE from a runaway v2 process.

DPA on our orion database shows really really good improvements.  

ignore the gap in data, DPA died and I didnt catch it for a bit.

martian monster

I am starting to plan this update and will install .Net update on all of the servers first then to the upgrade.  Do need to install this on the SQL back ends as well or just the app servers?  I also have a DPA app and SQL servers as well should I update them to all things Solarwinds are on the same .net update?