4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2006 2:04 AM by ndimba

Ping Impossible!!

i am a new user of solarwinds, i'll like to manage my network with it. i am an engeneer working for an isp, i've already register more 75% of of our nodes; the problem is that some times without reason my server can't ping any node. my server adress is 192.168.15.4; when the problem occurs i can only ping the default gateway 192.168.15.1 i can't go over but i can ping the others computers in 192.168.15.XX; the other computers in 192.168.15.XX can ping nodes out of the 192.168.15.XX that means the problem should be with my computer or my solarwinds application.
      thanks for help!!!
        • Re: Ping Impossible!!
          When you are experiencing this issue can you ping the nodes from command line from the machine our software is installed on? You can set the packet size for the ICMP packets sent for the pings in some of our tools. This can be done by clicking Settings > Network. Once in the Network tab, you will be presented with a text box, you can remove some characters from the text box to allow you to change the size of the packets. This could somehow be related to the issue you are seeing.

Eric Martin
          SolarWinds.Net
          Technical Support
            Eric E
            quote:
            when the problem occurs i can only ping the default gateway 192.168.15.1 i can't go over but i can ping the others computers in 192.168.15.XX; the other computers in 192.168.15.XX can ping nodes out of the 192.168.15.XX

Sounds like an issue with your computer.

What OS are you running and how many NICs do you have installed?
              quote:Originally posted by ndimba

i am a new user of solarwinds, i'll like to manage my network with it. i am an engeneer working for an isp, i've already register more 75% of of our nodes; the problem is that some times without reason my server can't ping any node. my server adress is 192.168.15.4; when the problem occurs i can only ping the default gateway 192.168.15.1 i can't go over but i can ping the others computers in 192.168.15.XX; the other computers in 192.168.15.XX can ping nodes out of the 192.168.15.XX that means the problem should be with my computer or my solarwinds application.
              thanks for help!!!
                quote:Originally posted by Mithrilhall

quote:
                when the problem occurs i can only ping the default gateway 192.168.15.1 i can't go over but i can ping the others computers in 192.168.15.XX; the other computers in 192.168.15.XX can ping nodes out of the 192.168.15.XX

Sounds like an issue with your computer.

What OS are you running and how many NICs do you have installed?

the OS is Windows2003Server, and i have already intalled about 2000 nodes.