This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

snmpv3

folks

does anyone know whether engineers edition supports snmp version 3?

thanks to anyone taking the time to reply
  • Not at the moment, no.

Should come with a new version i'd imagine

Analyser Sales Ltd
    SolarWinds Premier Partner
    www.asl-solarwinds.co.uk
  • We called in a year ago about support for snmpv3. We were told then that the next version would have it. Does anyone know when this is actually going to happen?
  • Hi, I'm the product manager for Toolset. We are in the process of prioritizing enhancement requests for the next release which is planned for first half of 2007. SNMP v3 support is definitely a high priority candidate for this release.

Please see the following post for more information:

www4.solarwinds.net/.../topic.asp

Thanks!

• I noticed that the curent version 9.2.047 only partially support SNMPv3.  What is the plan to fully integrate SNMPv3 into the tools?

Thanks.

• gbockelmann - are there tools that you would like to see SNMPv3 support in that currently do not have it?

Thanks,

Greg

• For security reasons we cannot use anything less than SNMPv3.  I went through all the tools and found that several do not support SNMPv3.  Here is the list:

Network Sonar
    SNMP Sweep
    Subnet List
    Advanced CPU Load
    CPU Gauge
    Router CPU Load
    SNMP Real Time Graph
    Proxy Ping
    MIB Viewer
    MIB Walk
    Update System MIB
    Remote TCP Session Reset
    SNMP Brute Force Attack
    SNMP Dictionary Attack

There are a few others that I couldn't test some because TFTP wasn't working (probably our security again).

• For security reasons we cannot use anything less than SNMPv3.  I went through all the tools and found that several do not support SNMPv3.  Here is the list:

Network Sonar
    SNMP Sweep
    Subnet List
    Advanced CPU Load
    CPU Gauge
    Router CPU Load
    SNMP Real Time Graph
    Proxy Ping
    MIB Viewer
    MIB Walk
    Update System MIB
    Remote TCP Session Reset
    SNMP Brute Force Attack
    SNMP Dictionary Attack

Due to a recent security audit I'm in the same boat as gbockelmann. I can no longer rely on SNMPv1/v2 for managing switches and routers. When can we expect to see full SNMPv3 support in the Engineers Toolset?

• We definitely plan on getting SNMPv3 support for the functionalities mentioned above; however, which apps and what version (of Toolset) are currently being determined. 

Would it be possible for you to prioritize the apps in order of importance from your points of view?

Thanks,

Greg 

• Would it be possible for you to prioritize the apps in order of importance from your points of view?

Here is my list in order of use

MIB Viewer (Used daily)
    MIB Walk (Used daily)
    Router CPU Load
    SNMP Sweep 
    SNMP Real-Time Graph
    CPU Gauge
    Network Sonar

• I know I can't solve everyones needs, but iReasoning has a great replacement for the Solarwinds MIB Viewer, and MIB Walk utilities called the iReasoning MIB Browser. This program will do simple SNMP gets, get next, sets, MIB Walks, and get subtree, all in one nice little utility. The program also supports SNMPv3. Just something I stumbled upon when looking for a way to continue doing what we've been doing with the Solarwinds Toolset for years, but with SNMPv3.