This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alert Time of Day Settings Ignored

Wondering if anyone else has come across this. Setting up an Application alert for a Node and creating a simple email action for a server on which we restart a handful of services every morning. In the alert's "Time of Day" I have it set to "Disable" the alert from 3am PST to 4am PST on a "Daily" schedule. Yet, every morning at 3:07 I get alerted that the service is down, and at 3:27 am the reset message triggers because the service is back up.

Has anyone else had this issue where the Time of Day schedule for an alert is just ignored and Orion alerts on it anyway?

Thanks!

-H

• Just to be certain, are your orion server and sql and all polling engines on PST as well?  Orion doesn't like dealing with multiple zones

• Oh my gosh - I have thought about this a dozen times. And yes - the monitored server and the Orion server are both on PST. But I just realized that I am using the Orion platform in my web browser from MST. I bet Orion is editing the time that I enter in there for the time zone change it sees with my browser in the Mountain zone. I'm moving the Time of Day to reflect my own time zone and see what that does.

Thanks for making me think and re-evaluate!

• It is, in fact, looking like Orion will edit the time based on the accessing browser's time zone. Our poller and the node are in the PST time zone but since my browser is making changes to the alert from the MST time zone I must enter times in MST and allow Orion to convert to the server's time zone.

• Still fighting with this issue. It turned out to not be a time zone issue. Still can't get the alert to disable based on the alert's Time of Day setting. I have completely scrapped the old alert and set up a new one and it's the same story - create the alert and use the Time of Day setting to 'Disable' the alert from 3am to 4am 'Daily' ... but I still get the service down alert at 3:07am and the RESET alert at about 3:29am.

I'm changing the Time of Day setting for the alert to 'Enable' and having it only enabled from 4am to Midnight and see if that changes anything but it sure seems like our Orion instance just isn't paying any attention to the Time of Day setup... anyone have any further ideas?

Thanks!

• Just FYI to close this thread - I wound up having to use the Umanage Scheduling Utility and Task Scheduler on the Orion server to get the server in question to go into Unmanaged mode for an hour each morning. Nothing I tried would work using the Time of Day settings in the alert manager.

• Yes,  we have this issue as well -- the "time of day" disable alert function does not seem to
    work at all. I have used this function in the past in "enable" mode and it seems to work ok.

The control is labeled "Disable alert during following time period" so it's intent seems pretty
    clear. Looks like a bug to me.

SolarWindsOrion Platform 2019.2 HF2, SRM 6.9.0, DPAIM 11.2.0, VMAN 8.5.0 HF1,

NAM 2019.2, NetPath 1.1.5, ACM 2019.2, LA 2.1

• I should clarify, I have used the schedule function under the trigger and reset actions
    to enable an alert during a certain time period and it has worked. In the previous
    comment, I am referring to the "Time of Day" tab in the alert definition screen.