This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

IP Managment Database

From my windows 2000 servers CLI I can ping a list of addresses. However from IP Managment Database or from Ping Sweep I cannot ping these same addresses.

It look like a DNS Name Problem to IP Address resolution?

Have verify that primary DNS is working. We needed to appended the other DNS names in the Server IP Config Setup. Was wondering if his might also be a problem because it going to primary DNS vs. the appended DNS names
  • I believe you are running into the ICMP packet size limitation on your end device:

www2.solarwinds.net/.../topic.asp
    quote:

Posted - 09/01/2005 : 15:06:09
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smaller (or the ability to vary the size/content of) ping packets in IP Management and some other ping-based tools - some devices have a limit on the size of ping packets they will respond to. This makes the IP addresses show up as Available, even though they are in use. This problem seemed to show up in version 8.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edited by - awstiver on 09/02/2005 13:24:01

www2.solarwinds.net/.../topic.asp

-=Cheers=-
    NG
  • Yes, changing the registry key seems to correct this problem with the Ping Sweep. However, this had no impact on the IP Address Management Database. Was wondering what would be the difference with the Database and how it pings?

Thanks,