4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2019 11:17 AM by meetpradeepp

Kiwi syslog migration

janobi

We have upgraded our kiwi syslog server to a new server with a new version of the OS.

I need to migrate the settings of the previous server to the new server, but I am unable to find a migration tool or guide on how to migrate the settings.

I dont need to migrate the files (logs) only the settings.

Can anyone help or advise, or point me to a guide?

• Re: Kiwi syslog migration
          kstone

In the 'FIle' menu there is an item called "Export Settings to INI file".  This will save all the settings to a text file called "Syslog Server Settings.ini" in the program directory(usually C:\program files (x86)\Syslogd).

You can then copy that file to the new server and use the "Import settings from INI file" item.  Make sure all the paths you use exist(for log files, reports, etc) and copy any scripts you may be using from the old server.  After the settings are imported check the Error log(CTRL+R or from the menu 'View' then 'View error log file') for a while to make sure everything is working as expected.  We almost always miss a file path...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              janobi

I presume the log checking will only be relevant once you start logging to the server?  We've yet to cut it over, but i've imported the ini settings.

With regards to the paths, would I need to create these on the new server?  Or are they automatically created as part of the setup/ini import.

kstone

What the error log will show is dependent on what the server is doing, it's a good idea to look at it before you start sending traffic. If you aren't logging anything there probably won't be much.  If you have scheduled tasks, reports, etc in Kiwi they could be reporting issues without syslog being recorded.

You need to create the file paths manually on the new server. 

meetpradeepp

We recently did migration of my Kiwi recently. After initial testing using SyslogGen utility I disabled the UDP through Input and turned it back on once the real traffic was in. During our migration we realized that some of the rule types were not getting properly translated in newer version. We had to hand edit the INI file using text editor.

HTH

Pradeep