2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2006 10:09 AM by boe

Ports on Macintosh PCs

I was using Port Scanner 8.2 to try and find out if anyone was using P2P software - what I noticed was that none of our Macintosh systems (all OSX) displayed any port information.  I set it to scan one at a verified IP address and it would vary from saying (just port 20) was in use or that port had an error. 

What I'd like to do is run a scan to find out how much each bandwidth each system is using.  One of the key ports of interest is AFP.   Since I can't seem to scan the MACs using port scanner (for ANY ports) I was wondering if there is setting I need to change.

Also I would like to know what is the correct component to use as I am new to the SolarWinds Engineers product.

Thank you
        • Re: Ports on Macintosh PCs
          The best tool for monitoring traffic across a network is Netflow Analyzer.  If your running cisco routers, configure up a flow and send it to your network monitor.  Netflow Analyzer is free to try and tracks all IP communication, both source, destination, protocol, size and amount of traffic.

Lockheed Martin
          Atlas V Launch Operations
          Network Engineer
          • Re: Ports on Macintosh PCs
            Thanks - I'm using a sonicwall firewall and unmanaged switches.