This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Network Storm Monitoring question.

G'day all
I'm experiencing a problem where every two hours or so we seem to be getting a network traffic spike that is causing connectivity problems.
Utilising Solar Winds how can I acsertain where this traffic is coming from?
Any help would be great.
Thanks
Mark
Aus

• I know this doesn't answer your question in regards to how Solarwinds can help you, but we have had similar issues in the past and have always been able to resolve them by using a network analyzer such as Sniffer or Ethereal (free). Much better tool for doing this than something like Solarwinds (which doesn't really have this ability).
  • If you monitor all the ports of your main switch, you may be able to see which ones show an upturn in traffic. and start looking from there. Sounds like a Broadcast storm.
  • You can enable netflow on your routers and use netflow analyzer to view all of your network traffic. Works great for me. Ethereal is a good free sniffer if you decide to go that route.

Lockheed Martin
    Atlas V Launch Operations
    Network Engineer