This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Creation date & boot time for VM through VMAN

Hi,

We have VMAN and we are looking for some information concerning the VM.

- The DateCreated is not accurate and seems to be moore a date related to VMAN than a true VM creation date.

- the Boot time is not always filled

We like to have both infromation to be able to determine

- the oldest VM

- the longest running time

Can you advise on this on where to find this accurate information or what is required for the info to be available ?

Cheers

• MathieuJM  wrote:

Hi,

We have VMAN and we are looking for some information concerning the VM.

- The DateCreated is not accurate and seems to be moore a date related to VMAN than a true VM creation date.

- the Boot time is not always filled

We like to have both infromation to be able to determine

- the oldest VM

- the longest running time

Can you advise on this on where to find this accurate information or what is required for the info to be available ?

Cheers

May I ask where you're viewing this information? For instance which widget is displaying the incorrect information?

• For instance I'm curious if you're seeing this on the Virtual Machine Details or the Node Details widget?

pastedImage_1.png

• Hello,

in the VM tab i do not have the Boot time ( the server is a VM monitored also through an agent)

The node details give me the good date however in the VIM_virtualmachines table i have a NULL value.

The creation date of the VM is 2019-02-11 in the same table however the server was up and running 4 month earlier.

The question is how VMAN is gathering the information from vCenter ?

Not all of our virtual server are moinitored directly through either WMI or an agent and we need to know the last boot time and also the creation date.

pastedImage_0.png

Any idea why we don't have the boot time and OS uptime info ?

for some of them i have the Boot time field

pastedImage_1.png

Cheers

• I too have an issue with all my VCenter servers having a last boot of "Monday, January 1, 0001 12:00 AM".  Therefore, I can't get "rebooted" alerts since this never populates correctly.  This seems to be related to the fact that monitoring for VCenter nodes requires "Status Only: ICMP" polling method when using "VMWare Polling".  The "Last Boot Time" is probably pulled via WMI, which is not enabled in this scenario.  Any advice on how to resolve this?

2019-03-18_11-41-10.jpg

2019-03-18_11-44-29.jpg

• bsims  wrote:

I too have an issue with all my VCenter servers having a last boot of "Monday, January 1, 0001 12:00 AM".  Therefore, I can't get "rebooted" alerts since this never populates correctly.  This seems to be related to the fact that monitoring for VCenter nodes requires "Status Only: ICMP" polling method when using "VMWare Polling".  The "Last Boot Time" is probably pulled via WMI, which is not enabled in this scenario.  Any advice on how to resolve this?

2019-03-18_11-41-10.jpg

2019-03-18_11-44-29.jpg

You're actually running into a known issue - which is tracked internally under CORE-10535. However, I have good news for you for your rebooted alert problem, and it won't have to wait on this product fix. In VMAN 8.4 you have the ability to configure real-time alerts based on VMware events that are tracked. When a vm is rebooted, you can have an alert based on the reboot event to give you faster visibility into that status change.

Virtualization Manager 8.4 is Now Generally Available

Virtualization Manager 8.4 Release Notes - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

VMAN 8.4 Feature: VMware Events Add-on - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

• I've written up a quick doc to explain how VMAN 8.4 can give you better alerting based on our VMware events support. Let me know if you find this helpful: DEAR VMAN: How do I have better visibility into VMs that are rebooting?

• Thanks!  I updated to VMAN 8.4 today and will start looking at this as a solution.  I am able to get rebooted alerts for all my VMs, but any VCenter servers that also happen to be VMs will need this.  Have a great afternoon.

• bsims  wrote:

Thanks!  I updated to VMAN 8.4 today and will start looking at this as a solution.  I am able to get rebooted alerts for all my VMs, but any VCenter servers that also happen to be VMs will need this.  Have a great afternoon.

Awesome, looking forward to your feedback on the new feature set!