This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Https Monitor Error - TLS Security Exception accountable for fallback

Hi,

i am new to Solarwinds and trying to address a HTTPS URL monitor issue.

I get an error "TLS Security Exception accountable for fallback"

Could some one help on this.

• Hi koushikkr​,

I have the exact same issue, however mine also includes the twist that it is only affecting a few devices outside of my network!

I have ran tests from my primary polling engine and my additional web server which have come back fine as well as navigating to the site on both, however when I run the test from one of the devices outside of my immediate network, the error I get is the same as you.

The tests I have ran identified an issue where TLS 1.0, 1.2 and 2.0 are all available, however the site doesn't work. I have been able to access the site locally, but not from the target node with the following error;

"Turn on TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 in Advanced Settings and try connecting to https://www.url.com again. If this error persists, it is possible that this site uses an unsupported protocol or cipher suite such as RC4, which is not considered secure. Please contact your administrator."

I have gone back to the site owners to ask them of this, however I think the issue is as above.

It might be worth doing the same?

Kind regards,

James

• I ran into the same problem:  HTTPS component monitor was failing with "Unexpected error occurred. TLS Security Exception accountable for fallback", but only for a single node.  Other HTTPS component monitors—all using the same template—were working just fine.

The issue turned out to be my multi-factor authentication.  For this node, and this node only, the website URL automatically redirects to my 3rd-party MFA provider, which of course is not what I wanted to monitor.  My other MFA-enabled websites only do the redirect when a user clicks their "Log in" buttons, but this particular website forces MFA as soon as users hit the root URL.

In your HTTPS component monitor, try disabling the "Follow Redirect" option.

• Thanks!  In my case I had no reason to suspect this was being redirected but turning off 'follow' worked like a champ.