This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Database Size Warning

After tranfering all my data from my PC to a central server, I was advised to copy over certain files accross also to enable my server to have the 3 months history from my PC. this included my SWNetPerfMon.cfg file of 2 gigabit
now I'm getting a database size warning informing me to stop polling and run database maintenance. I cannot open the SWNetPerfMon file in an attempt to delete folders. does anyone have any ideas??

G

GB
  • This is the biggest limitation to the Toolsets. To perform the maintenance, make sure that NetPerfMon is shutdown. Look in the solarwinds directory and there is an exe file call Database-Maint.exe kick this file off and fun the utility. This will shrink the access database size greatly and allow for continued monitoring. Depending on the amount of objects your monitoring, you'll need to get used to doing this on a regular basis.

Lockheed Martin
    Atlas V Launch Operations
    Network Engineer

• I just repaired my corrupt database this morning

If the database is corrupted open the database (SWNetPerfMon.cfg) with MS Access if you can and allow it to repair. This can take 10 minutes or more. I did this because the solarwinds database exe woudln't work unit after I repaired with MS Access

Then run the Solar Winds database repair .exe located somewhere in the Program files/solarwinds folder. (

Then go ahead an run performance monitor
  • ddaryl,
    Thanks for the tip, I've just finished repairing with MS Access as my SWNetPerfMon.cfg file had hit 2 Gig and corrupted. After following your advice it is now back with all data at a size of 55 Meg

Cheers

LynxRC
  • <quote>.....you'll need to get used to doing this on a regular basis.

So I am not having problems when I need to run the 'repair and compact database' tool weekly? I was ready to ping the SolarWinds support group about this, but it sounds like it is 'normal' behavior.
  • fleic0ma,

As Bryan says, it is the biggest limitation of the TOOLSET. Have you seen Orion? Orion stores data on SQL server, which does not have the 2GB limit, and is developed and tuned for monitoring larger networks than the toolset.

www.solarwinds.net/.../index.htm

Thanks,
    Greg

• The two main differences between Toolsets and Orion are the database limitation and the web capability. Solarwinds has integrated the syslog server in Toolsets into SQL, why not the NPM? I own both products and from personal experience, the reason that I purchased Orion was for the web capability. I don't see why Solarwinds wouldn't want to add the SQL feature to toolsets, I don't think it would compete with Orion.

Lockheed Martin
    Atlas V Launch Operations
    Network Engineer