This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Help with custom report pulling serial numbers

I need help adding serial numbers to some custom reports that I have.  Most devices are Cisco but there other vendors as well.  As wluther​ pointed me in the right direction partially, I have been able to get "some results".  In it's current format, I have 222 nodes that I'd like to pull from that are Cisco devices, and the below only shows me 30 serial numbers. My guess is that different models may not show this information in the same manner.  Help would be greatly appreciated!

SELECT

n.Caption 

,n.NodeProperties.CiscoChassis.ChassisSerialNumberString 

FROM Orion.Nodes AS n 

• smttysmth02gt​ Are all of those 222 nodes in NCM too?

If you see a serial from device type "A", are you seeing serials for all type "A" devices?

For our Juniper devices, I have had to build new "Node Details" pollers, and I remapped the serial value into one of the unused fields. If you have devices that show everything other than the serial, perhaps you can walk the OIDs on those devices, and see if you can manually locate the serial value. If you can, you can create a new poller and apply it to those devices. That should get the values into the DB. And you could also make some custom UnDPs to pull the values too.

In regards to the method used, do you want/need to keep it SWQL, or would web reports work too?

• No sir...very good point.  I had not considered that possibility (I inherited this inventory).  I've modified my report to only include NCM enabled.  113 total now. 

No, not all type devices are listed.  These are mostly Cisco ASA's, Catalyst switches, and routers.  The only devices that give me anything back are "some" of the switches and one 7604 router.

I'd prefer to keep it SWQL if possible. 

• smttysmth02gt​ Here is a post I found from ecklerwr1​, where it looks like he has already walked the path you're on right now. Perhaps give his report a try and see what it comes up with.

Cisco Hardware report with Serial Numbers

• Okay, then I'd say to pick a model, and start investigating. Make sure NCM is pulling inventory data on those devices.

If all of those checks out, and still no serials, then you'll have to keep going.

Perhaps manually get the serial for a few devices, then do some SNMP walks, and look to match the known serial. When the serial matches, copy that OID, and continue checking other devices/types.

You could either build a UnDP and apply it to each device which is missing the serial data. Or, if there is other data you are missing, and need, you could create a new device poller (type:node details), remapping those OIDs to the available fields.

It looks like getting that data into the db is going to be the most difficult part. (And that's usually nothing more than just taking some time) As soon as you get that data, then we can start building it out into a SWQL query. (I say as soon as, because we don't know where the data is going to be stored yet, until you get it in there)

Let us know what you find, and we can go from there.

Thank you,

-Will

• This report helped me tremendously.  Thank you.  That got me a vast majority!